Steve joined the restructuring and insolvency team in May 2016. He has a range of experience on a wide range of non-contentious and contentious restructuring matters, formal insolvency appointments and other aspects of underperforming or distressed corporates. He advises insolvency practitioners, financial institutions, creditors, directors and corporates. Recent mandates include advising in the infrastructure, retail, higher education and TMT sectors.
Reported cases in which Steve has played a leading role include Re Nortel Group  EWHC 2506 (Ch) (directions to administrator to enter into global settlement), Re Nortel Networks UK Ltd  EWHC 1429 (Ch) (obtaining a bar date for administration expense claims), and Re Nortel Networks UK  EWHC 3299 (administration extension in light of Brexit uncertainty).
Steve was recognised as a key members of the Herbert Smith Freehills restructuring and insolvency team in The Legal 500 UK in 2019.
"Steve Conyers has very strong technical knowledge and practical nous, combined with friendly and affable approach which clients clearly love." Legal 500 UK 2019
Steve's experience includes advising:
- the administrators of the Nortel EMEA business in relation to the global insolvency of the Nortel group including in respect of the global settlement and the subsequent pan-European CVAs
- former non-executive directors and officers of Carillion in relation to matters arising from the company's high-profile liquidation
- - a major infrastructure fund on the restructuring of a number of significant projects, including PFI projects
- an investment company on its potential purchase of a distressed UK mine
- Ernst & Young in relation to the administration of the TXU Group of companies
- a major creditor in relation to the administration of a high street technology retailer