French and English law qualified, she advises both lenders (including DFIs, commercial banks, multilateral lenders) and sponsors on the structuring, financing and development of projects in France and abroad. In particular, she assists on project financings in the energy sector (including renewable energy), natural resources and infrastructure (PPP, concessions), notably in Africa and the Middle East.
Soraya is also involved in syndicated financing and debt restructuring, French and international asset financing (notably under tax lease regime) and export finance transactions.
Soraya is fluent in French, English and Arabic.
‘Associate Soraya Salem is available, committed and thorough’
Legal 500 EMEA 2020 – Project Finance (France)
Soraya has advised:
- Proparco, IFC and EIB in relation to the financing of two solar photovoltaic generation units with a power capacity of 80MWp held by a consortium led by Engie, Meridiam and Fonsis SA in aggregate to be developed on a greenfield basis in the respective areas of Touba and Kahone in Senegal. These two projects form part of the Scaling Solar initiative supported by the World Bank
- Asian Development Bank and Société Générale, India in relation to the construction and operation of a 200 MW solar power plant in Gujarat, India developed by Electro Solaire Private Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Engie Solar SAS acting as a sponsor
- Brookfield Asset Management as lender in a holdco financing for Altitude Infrastructure, the French broadband operator
- Société Générale and Société Générale CIB in relation to a Framework Agreement entered into with the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Cote d'Ivoire in relation to three Bpifrance Assurance Export covered credit agreements and three commercial loan credit agreements
- CEPAC and AFD for the financing of the acquisition of an ATR 42-600 for Air Saint Pierre, located in Saint Pierre et Miquelon under a tax lease transaction including delivery of the aircraft
Before joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Soraya worked in several French and English law firms in Paris.
She graduated from University Paris II Panthéon-Assas with a Master II in business and tax law and a LLM in Arab countries business law. She is a member of the Paris bar and is a Solicitor (England and Wales).
Soraya is a board member of the Paris MENA Legal Club (PMLC).