Sophie advises clients on all forms of dispute resolution, including High Court litigation, arbitration and mediation, frequently with an international dimension and typically involving complex issues.
Sophie's expertise includes advising clients on complex contractual disputes (including those relating to joint ventures and M&A-related litigation), shareholder and partnership disputes, claims for breach of directors' duties, and the contentious aspects of group insolvency.
Sophie assists clients across various sectors and has a particular focus on the Technology, Media and Telecommunications, Leisure and Sport and Consumer Products sectors.
In addition to a six-month secondment to our Singapore office, Sophie has been seconded to BAT for 14 months to provide strategic commercial litigation advice on high profile proceedings relating to the clean-up of the Fox River in the U.S., and to VEON Ltd. in Amsterdam for seven months as senior litigation counsel on its material litigation and arbitration.
Sophie's experience includes advising:
- BAT Industries in proceedings arising from the US$1bn clean-up of the Fox River in the U.S., including proceedings brought by BAT in the English High Court for the recovery of approx. US$800m in dividends
- Bharti Airtel in defence of a claim in excess of US$4bn relating to its telecommunications business in Nigeria. The dispute included an international arbitration and court proceedings in several jurisdictions, including Nigeria and The Netherlands
- Primark in its defence of libel proceedings brought by a former supplier
- Premiership Rugby on its new eight-year Professional Game Agreement with the RFU for the management and funding of English professional club rugby
- a confidential client on the restructuring of its joint venture arrangements in the North Sea and on the decommissioning of its interests in the associated offshore platform and pipeline infrastructure
Sophie holds an MA (Cantab) in Modern and Medieval Languages (French and German) and Law from Fitzwilliam College, University of Cambridge. She is a qualified Solicitor Advocate.