Sophie works with clients on a wide range of contentious matters, particularly concerning patents involving technically complex subject matter, and is a trusted advisor to a number of the world's largest originator life science companies.
As well as running litigation in the English courts, Sophie has considerable experience of managing multi-jurisdictional patent enforcement actions, frequently against generic companies.
Sophie has advised:
- AbbVie in a number of high value multi-jurisdictional actions concerning its blockbuster drug, Humira and its auto-injector delivery device
- Sanofi in various commercially important matters including the pan-European defence and enforcement of the SPCs protecting irbesartan
- Roche on a number of commercially important patent matters including the multi-jurisdictional patent litigation concerning the rights to the human hormone erythropoietin and the defence of a patent action concerning Herceptin and Fuzeon
- Daiichi Sankyo on the pan-European defence and enforcement of patents protecting its blockbuster anti-microbial drug Tavanac, including successfully defending revocation proceedings in the UK at first instance and on appeal
- a global pharmaceutical company in the successful defence of a high value arbitration concerning the royalties payable to a third party
With over 20 years experience, she is recognised by all the major legal directories as a leader in the intellectual property, patent and life sciences fields.
Ranked Band 1, Chambers UK, Intellectual Property, 2016
'Sophie Rich is highly respected for her impressive track record in pharmaceuticals and life sciences patent litigation. Clients say: "She's very business-focused, quick to answer and brings deep knowledge and experience to the table."' Chambers UK, 2016