Sebastián's practice focuses on cross-border corporate and financial transactions in Latin America, including financing and M&A. Sebastián has experience representing domestic and foreign clients in a wide range of industries including in the energy sector, as well as sovereigns and quasi-sovereigns.
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills' Latin America Group, he worked at New Fortress Energy, an energy infrastructure company, as Counsel and as an associate in the Latin American Practice Group at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in New York.
Sebastián's native language is Spanish and is proficient in French.
Sebastian's experience includes advising:
- Codelco, in the negotiation and execution of several bilateral loan agreements for an aggregate amount of approximately US$750 million between 2013 and 2018*
- the creditor group in the attempted restructuring, including the enforcement of rights, of the debt of a Bermuda-based oil & gas company with operations throughout Latin America between 2014 and 2018*
- the underwriters in Empresa Nacional del Petróleo’s liability management transaction to refinance approximately US$700 million in 2016*
- the Republic of Argentina in the issuance of approximately US$16.5 billion of debt in the international capital markets to restructure its then-defaulted debt in 2016*
- the underwriters in the US$1.6 billion follow-on equity offering by Infraestructura Energética Nova (IEnova), Sempra Energy's Mexican subsidiary, in 2016*
- a Mexican company in the oil & gas sector in the attempted sale of its retail gas distribution subsidiary in an auction-style process*
- Grupo Bimbo in several acquisitions in the US, including East Balt Bakeries from a private equity firm for US$650 million in 2017*
- the US$615 million acquisition by Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj from a private equity firm*
- Warburg Pincus and General Atlantic in the acquisition of a 50% stake of Santander Group’s global asset management business*
*Indicates experience acquired at a previous firm.
Sebastián has a law degree from Universidad de los Andes in Bogotá, Colombia, an L.L.M. from the Northwestern Pritzker School of Law and a Certificate in Business Administration from the Northwestern Kellogg School of Management. Sebastián is admitted to the Bar in the State of New York and in Colombia.