Sean is a London-based associate who advises clients across the breadth of the group's practice areas, including UK/EU competition law, State aid and trade law.
Sean regularly advises clients on UK/EU merger control and foreign direct investment review (including under the UK's new National Security and Investment Act). Outside of M&A, Sean advises on a spectrum of competition law matters, including anti-competitive arrangements, abuse of dominance and regulatory investigations (including leniency applications).
Sean has acted for public and private sector clients in relation to EU State aid and subsidy control compliance. He has advised a range of clients on international trade law issues including compliance with preferential trade agreements.
Sean's experience includes advising:
- a US private equity firm on merger control and foreign direct investment aspects of a €300m investment in a global aerospace services provider
- a global communications company on merger control and foreign direct investment clearance in relation to investments from various investors
- a leading toy manufacturer on a multi-jurisdictional competition law review of its distribution arrangements
- a mobile network operator on submissions to the UK Competition and Markets Authority and network sharing arrangements
- an energy company in the nuclear sector on compliance with the UK's forthcoming subsidy control regime
- a US-based apparel company on compliance with UK trade and customs law
- a manufacturer of dual-use products on UK/EU export control and national security review under the UK merger control regime*
- a building materials supplier to obtain immunity from the UK Competition and Markets Authority*
- an energy supplier on an investigation for suspected participation in anti-competitive information sharing arrangements*
*Experience gained prior to joining HSF
Sean holds a postgraduate diploma in EU Competition Law and was admitted to the Irish Roll of Solicitors 2019.