Susan is a partner in the London Competition, Regulation & Trade team.
Susan specialises in EU and UK competition law, advising clients on merger control issues arising from major merger and joint ventures, strategic matters (including compliance) and high profile competition investigations. Susan has expertise across a spectrum of industries including consumer, leisure, transport, pharmaceuticals and financial services. She also co-heads the firm's Consumer sector.
Susan was a co-founder of the firm's Women Lawyers Network and has been a driving force behind the firm's diversity initiatives.
Susan is consistently recognised and praised by clients in the major legal directories, most recently being included in the Legal 500 UK 2022 Hall of Fame for EU and Competition. Clients praise Susan as "…a fantastic, really engaged competition lawyer who provides good commercial advice.”
Experience & expertise
- Unite Students on obtaining unconditional Phase I clearance from the CMA (after an issues meeting) for its acquisition of Liberty Living, another leading student accommodation provider
- Hammerson on its £3.4 billion recommended all-share offer to acquire the entire share capital of Intu Properties plc; on its acquisition of the Grand Central shopping centre and obtaining the CMA's approval; and on the disposal of its 50% interest in Via Outlets
- A global investment bank on high profile investigations by the European Commission, the US Department of Justice and UK Financial Conduct Authority in respect of alleged anti-competitive behaviour in relation to FX trading
- British American Tobacco on a number of transactions, including on its acquisition of Reynolds; and on its c. £126 million investment for a 19.9% stake in Canadian cannabis producer Organigram
- Arriva on the CMA's Phase II investigation into Arriva's award of the Northern Rail Franchise (securing this as a new instruction at Phase II); this was a major and ground-breaking case.