Steven specialises in both tax and investigations.
Currently on secondment to our Hong Kong office, Steven advises on both investigations (regulatory and internal) and tax matters.
In relation to tax, Steven has advised financial institutions and corporate groups in relation to high value and complex tax investigations and disputes with HMRC. He also advised in the context of an investor-state arbitration relating to a complex tax dispute.
Steven has been listed as an "Associate to Watch" in the 2022 and 2023 editions of Chambers UK. According to a client in Legal 500, "Nick Clayton and Steven Wenham have been excellent in supporting our business. Quick to respond, very engaging and have very detailed knowledge and innovative solutions."
Steven graduated from the University of Oxford with a First Class degree in History. He later completed the law conversion course. He qualified as a Solicitor in March 2018 and as a Solicitor Advocate (civil matters) in January 2022.
Experience & expertise
- acting for a multinational telecommunications group in a tax-related investment treaty claim against an Asian state
- acting for a life assurance company on a successful challenge to a corporation tax assessment by HMRC
- acting for a hedge fund in the context of a corporation tax enquiry from HMRC
- acting for an offshore drilling rig contractor in a tax appeal before the First-tier Tribunal
- conducting a number of internal investigations in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sector across China, India, Southeast Asia and Australia