Stephen is a senior associate in our corporate team, who is based in our Tokyo office.
Stephen’s practice focuses on cross-border M&A, joint ventures, project development, and other transactional matters primarily for Japanese clients in the energy, oil & gas (including LNG), and resources sectors.
Stephen has worked in Tokyo for more than 5 years, including a three-year secondment to a major Japanese power utility and two separate secondments supporting major Japanese trading companies.
Experience & expertise
- Marubeni Corporation on a joint venture with energy major bp to develop selected offshore wind opportunities in Japan
- Marubeni Corporation as a member of the consortium (with SSE Renewables and Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners) which successfully won its bid for seabed leasing to develop a large floating offshore wind project in Scotland’s largest-ever auction of seabed leases for offshore wind farms, as part of the “ScotWind Leasing” program
- Tokyo Gas on its investment in Octopus Energy, a British renewable energy supplier, and its joint venture with Octopus Energy in Japan*
- A major energy company on the development of an LNG receiving terminal in the Philippines, including the terminal use and capacity arrangements, joint venture arrangements, and LNG supply and gas sale arrangements
- Several Japanese trading and utility companies on the acquisition and divestment of interests in significant mining projects around the world and on the offtake arrangements for those projects
- Several Japanese oil & gas companies on investments in major upstream and midstream LNG projects
* Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills