Sornnarin Kongkasem is a senior associate in the dispute resolution practice group.
Sornnarin Kongkasem is a senior associate in the dispute resolution practice group. He has a wide range of experience advising on domestic and international dispute resolution. His expertise includes bankruptcy and rehabilitation, corporate and commercial, corporate governance and director liability, corporate investigations and compliance projects, shareholders dispute, cross-border litigation, insurance, labour and employment, white-collar crime, and product liability.
Sornnarin's expertise spans across a broad spectrum of industries, including insurance, automotive, aviation, and real estate.
- Notarial Services Attorney qualified to certify signatures and documents - 2012
- Thai Barrister-at-Law, Thai Bar Association - 2009
- Lawyers License, Lawyers Council of Thailand - 2007
Fluent in Thai and English, Sornnarin Kongkasem was admitted to practice in 2008. He received a bachelor's degree in law (2nd class honours) from Chulalongkorn University and masters' degree in law from Chulalongkorn University. Sornnarin is qualified as a Thai Barrister-at-Law and is a current member of the Thai Bar Association.
Experience & expertise
- an international real estate management and investment companies on a number of cases, including civil tort disputes, criminal disputes, labour disputes with labour unions and labour committees in Phuket Province
- an international automotive company on labour dispute with labour unions and labour committee
- a number of clients on providing labour laws advice to a number of companies in a variety of business sectors
- a real estate development company involved in the dispute of a joint venture agreement, facility agreement and collateral agreement
- a number of clients involved in bankruptcy disputes, business reorganization and also representing clients in bankruptcy and liquidation cases
- a number of clients with regards to the execution of court judgments or orders in bankruptcy, commercial, and criminal cases
- a leading energy company, an insured, on a claim against an insurance company
- an international trust company on commercial disputes in relation to bond and trust
- a subsidiary of the largest insurance group in Japan and worldwide in successfully defending a THB 2.154 billion complex litigation claim (approximately USD 69 million) made by a major multinational automobile company, the plaintiff. The court of first instance dismissed all of the plaintiff’s claims. This case also set the precedent that an insurance claim in relation to business operations is a civil case, rather than a consumer case, thereby shifting the burden of proof to the plaintiff and barring claims for punitive damages*
- a subsidiary of the world’s largest food and beverage company in court proceedings in Thailand for the enforcement of an international arbitral award
- a subsidiary of a global petroleum exploration and production company in arbitration arising from a joint operating agreement entered into in connection with a concession in the Gulf of Thailand granted by the Ministry of Energy. The total amount of damages claimed was approximately THB 1 billion (USD 28 million)
- one of the largest mobile and telecommunication providers in Thailand in a high profile dispute valued in relation to a concession with a former state enterprise of the Thai government
- a large aviation company in shareholders' disputes including civil and criminal cases.