Sophie is Of Counsel and Solicitor Advocate in the General Counsel & Risk team, London.
Sophie has experience of a broad range of commercial disputes, with a particular focus on professional negligence, complex international litigation and arbitration in the energy and natural resources sectors and disputes involving fraud, bribery and corruption issues. An experienced advocate, Sophie has acted as a junior in a large arbitration and as sole advocate on a large number of pro bono cases. Sophie provides advice to the firm in respect of its liabilities to clients and others, regulatory matters and data privacy.
Sophie qualified as a solicitor at Herbert Smith in 2010. She acted for key clients in the firm’s energy disputes and advocacy teams until 2019. She currently advises the firm in respect of contentious and regulatory matters and data privacy, in the General Counsel & Risk team.
Experience & expertise
- four large energy companies, defending a US$65 million Commercial Court claim in relation to the provision of services from a North Sea oil platform to a neighbouring field
- a large multinational corporation in an LCIA arbitration in relation to investments in uranium mines in Kazakhstan before sole arbitrator, Lord Hoffmann PC QC
- a large truck manufacturer, coordinating the defence of follow-on damages claims subsequent to a competition infringement ruling by the European Commission
- an international investment manager in a successful LCIA arbitration US$115 million professional negligence claim arising out of a failed securitisation transaction
- an energy major in negotiating the settlement of a US$26 million claim made against it before proceedings were commenced in the High Court.