Sian is a resources, energy and infrastructure lawyer, predominantly advising mining and infrastructure companies on transactions ranging from strategic operational matters, development and expansion projects, port and rail infrastructure, and private M&A.
Sian has a deep understanding of the energy and resources sector, due to the breadth of her experience advising clients and her experience on secondment with ASX-listed mining and oil and gas companies during her career, both to support projects and business as usual operations.
Sian regulatory works on development and expansion projects in the resource sector, using various project delivery models. Sian’s experience includes advising on greenfield project development and brownfield expansion projects for both open cut and underground mines and the construction of power stations, LNG plants, solar farms and port and rail infrastructure, throughout Australia and in Asia.
Sian also assists clients with operational transactions in the resources sector, including:
- procurement of mobile mining equipment (including to support autonomous operations)
- procurement of major plant and equipment for port and rail, including track work, rolling stock, stackers, reclaimers and ship loaders
- long term operations and maintenance agreements for major plant
- contract mining, toll-washing and logistics agreements and
- offtake and commodity sales arrangements.
Sian has a Bachelor of Laws with Honours and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Queensland and a Masters of Law (pass with Distinction) from King’s College London.
Sian is ‘Recommended’ by Doyle’s Guide in the Leading Front End Construction & Infrastructure Lawyers category in Queensland in 2020.
Experience & expertise
- Newcrest in relation to its Cadia expansion project, including expansion of both underground and surface facilities.
- BHP in relation to its greenfield South Flank iron ore development and brownfield expansion of Mining Area C, including drafting bespoke construction and major procurements contracts and assisting with contract administration during project execution.
- Adani in relation to the proposed development of the Carmichael mine and railway, including advising on contracts for the design and construction of the mine and procurement of major items of fleet to support the mine and railway operations.
- Coronado in relation to its long-term contract mining arrangements for the Curragh mine.
- Brookfield in relation to Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal, including in respect of access agreements, its Access Undertaking and capital works including the $1.1b stage 7X expansion project.
- Gladstone Ports Corporation in relation to the development of a multi-user terminal at the Port of Bundaberg.
- The proponent of a multi-user iron ore facility at the Port of Esperance.
- Various miners in relation to their rail access and rail haulage and port access arrangements.
- Santos in relation to the Gladstone LNG project, including the EPC contracts for the development of both upstream and downstream aspects of the project and long term maintenance contracts for OEM equipment.
- InterGen in relation to a greenfield 800MW gas fired power station in Singapore, including drafting and negotiating contracts for an undersea gas pipeline and on-shore receiving facility and design and project management of this aspect of the project.
- Adani in relation to the development of the Rugby Run solar farm.
- On farm-in and joint venture agreements.
- On due diligence for buy side, sell side and acquisition finance in respect of mining assets in Australia.
- Bidders in respect of the acquisition of interests in mines in Australia and offshore, including South America.