Shantanu is a corporate lawyer, specialising in funds and asset management.
Shantanu has a full-service funds practice ranging from fund structuring, fund formation (including public and private funds), client mandates and fund investments. He advises asset managers, institutional investors and investment funds in relation to such transactions across all asset classes, with a particular focus on private capital strategies.
Shantanu also advises asset managers on corporate matters (such as establishment or restructurings) and on regulatory issues, including ESG, sustainability and digitisation.
Shantanu has been recognized for his funds and asset management expertise and experience with ESG and sustainable investment. Alongside being regularly quoted in industry media, Shantanu frequently publishes on sustainability matters for the asset management industry. He is also on the ESG committees of several industry bodies (such Invest Europe, AIMA and AFME).
- ESA Joint Consultation Paper on ESG Disclosures key takeaways for asset managers
- Public Hearing on the Consultation Paper and Draft RTS on ESG Disclosures
- The Taxonomy Regulation: an overview
- Secondaries legal issues and risks
Shantanu studied law at the National Law School of India University, Bangalore and graduated in 2010 with a B.A., LLB (Hons.). Shantanu also read for the BCL (Oxon), graduating in 2011.
Experience & expertise
- BioPharma Credit PLC, a UK investment trust investing in the life sciences industry, on its IPO and admission to the Specialist Fund Segment of the Main Market (2017)
- Polar Capital Global Healthcare Trust PLC, a UK investment trust investing in a global portfolio of healthcare stocks, on its tender offer, reconstruction and secondary fundraising through the issue of new ordinary shares and zero dividend preference shares (2017)
- NB Private Equity Partners Limited, a Guernsey-domiciled private equity fund, on an issue of zero-dividend preference shares (2016) and on the fund's transition from the Specialist Fund Segment to the Premium Segment of the Main Market (2017)
- Balance Legal Capital, a litigation fund manager, on its establishment and the structuring of its track record vehicle (2015-2017)
- Moorfield Group Limited, a UK real estate fund manager, on its corporate restructuring and realignment of shareholder interests and on a secondary fundraising for its limited partnership investment vehicles (2015)
- Big Society Capital Limited and Joseph Rowntree Foundation, on their cornerstone investments into a social enterprise investment fund established by Big Issue Social Investments Limited, which has affordable housing and homelessness as one of its six core investment themes (2015)