Sergio is a partner in the finance practice in the Madrid office with wide experience in all kinds of structured finance transactions.
He advises domestic and foreign banks, institutional and alternative lenders, private equity and debt funds, as well as borrowers, developers and sponsors on structuring and implementing all type of finance transactions, including acquisition and leveraged finance, project finance, real estate finance and restructuring and refinancing transactions, with special focus in the private equity, energy, infrastructure and real estate sectors. Additionally, he has also significant cross-border experience in Europe, United States and Latin America.
During his career, he has been involved in some of the most relevant structured finance transactions in the Spanish market within the energy, infrastructure, and some relevant industrial sectors. Additionally, Sergio has been very active in pro-bono matters.
His expertise is highlighted in Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers for Banking and Finance and Projects and Energy since 2019.
"Sergio Cires has a lot of availability and capacity for work.", Chambers Europe 2023 – Spain (Banking and finance)
"‘Very committed and with a high technical quality. Especially […] and Sergio Cires.’ ‘Sergio Cires offers a degree of personal closeness that complements his professional skills'.", EMEA Legal 500 2023 – Spain (Projects and energy)
"‘Very committed and with a high level of technical ability. I would like to highlight […] and Sergio Cires.’ ‘All the lawyers at […] are outstanding, but I would particularly like to highlight […] and Sergio Cires for their technically impeccable and rigorous work. Great professionals and even better people’.", EMEA Legal 500 2023 – Spain (Banking and finance)
"Provides an outstanding level of involvement and anticipates our needs", Chambers Europe 2022 – Spain (Banking and Finance and Projects)
He has a degree in Law and a specialization in Economics by the Universidad de Navarra in Pamplona, Navarra (Spain) and a master's degree in Business law by Instituto de Empresa (IE) (Spain). He speaks Spanish, English and Basque. He is admitted in the Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Madrid (ICAM – Madrid Bar Association).
He collaborates as coach with Universidad de Navarra, and teaches 'Project finance' in ISDE in Madrid (Spain)
Experience & expertise
- Coöperatieve Rabobank on two financings of certain photovoltaic projects sponsored by Bruc, located in different Spanish locations*
- BBVA and the rest of syndicate of lenders on the €54 million acquisition financing of 100% of the share capital of Standard Hidráulica; Hidrogas Canalizaciones; Hidrostandard del Mediterráneo; STH Westco Holdings; STH Westco; STH Hidraulica Ellas Single MemberA.; and Standard Hidraulica Southern Africa Plumbing and Heating Equipment, a group specialized in the sector of the connection and control of fluids and kitchen and bathroom taps in both residential and non-residential areas and civil works, by IEE21 Europe, a newly created Spanish company sponsored by H.I.G. European Capital Partners 3 Fund*
- Banco Santander and the rest of the syndicate of lenders on the financing granted to Amara and certain affiliates of its group, specialized in the distribution of materials and the management of logistic services for the energy, telecommunications, and industry sectors present in Spain, United States, Mexico, Brazil, and China*
- Banco Santander and the rest of the syndicate of lenders on the financing of the acquisition by the sponsor ProA Capital of the Spanish company Carcamóvil, owner of the La Casa de las Carcasas business, a well-known group specializing in mobile phone accessories*
- Enel Green Power España in connection with a €20 million bridge loan and subsequent circa €17.5 million project financing, of a 23.93 MW wind park located in the municipality of Fuendetodos (Zaragoza, Spain)*
- Portobello Capital Gestion on the acquisition and related financing of the Spanish company BT España Compañía de Servicios Globales de Telecomunicaciones, whose primary activity is the provision of telecommunication services*
- Sacyr Concesiones, as sponsor, Unión Vial Río Pamplonita, as concessionaire, and Fideicomiso Unión Vial Río Pamplonita, as borrower, on a $451.5 million long-term project financing, consisting of a U.S. dollar tranche and Colombian Peso debt tranches, provided by a syndicate of major financial institutions led by Deutsche Bank, New York Branch and JPMorgan Chase Bank. The financing package will be used fund the design, construction and placement into service of the Cucuta – Pamplona Highway, which forms part of the Colombian fourth generation (4G) highway*
- Société Générale, as agent, and a syndicate of lenders in connection with the novation of a €680 million corporate debt financing granted in favor of Urbaser, a waste management company*
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills