Roman has led teams of lawyers to advise private and public clients on numerous projects in transport, utilities, social sectors, healthcare and tourism, many receiving international awards. With over 16 years of experience, Roman is one of few select lawyers who worked through first PPPs in Russia and the CIS, shaping their framework which exists today. His experience spans across multiple jurisdictions including Eastern Europe, CIS and Middle East. Roman has participated in preparing draft laws amending federal and regional Russian PPP legislation and led a group of experts in the preparation of a UNECE PPP standard. Roman is a member of major council of experts operating under umbrella of the Russian Parliament and Government.
- Transport telematics systems in Russia
Advising Government of the Russian Federation on Platon Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) system concession project, introduced to facilitate and process the collection of toll charges offsetting the damage caused to Russian Federal Highways by vehicles exceeding 12 tons of gross vehicle weight, and concession on implementation of automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) systems to identify the vehicles and weigh-in-motion (WIM) systems
- M11 Moscow - St. Petersburg toll motorway (sections 7 and 8: 543km – 684km)
Advising the Russian Highways State Company (Avtodor) on M11 Moscow - St. Petersburg toll motorway (sections 7 and 8: 543km – 684km)
- The Western High Speed Diameter (WHSD) toll road
Advising the Government of St Petersburg on the construction and operation of the Western High Speed Diameter (WHSD) toll road (PPP deal of the Year 2013, World Finance; Road deal of the Year 2012, Project Finance International; European Real Toll Road Deal of the Year, Project Finance 2012; European PPP Transaction of the Year, Infrastructure Investor 2012)
- An array of prominent projects in Eastern Europe, CIS and Middle East, including:
Belgrade Nikola Tesla International airport PPP in Serbia
The "Big Almaty Ring Road" (BAKAD) PPP
Chisinau International Airport PPP in Moldova
The first toll road PPP project in the Republic of Kyrgyzstan
PPP for the development of airports of Samarkand, Namangan and Urgench in Uzbekistan
First toll road PPP in the Republic of Srpska
First railway concession in Armenia etc.
- Infrastructure projects in the CIS
Advising on a number of infrastructure projects in the CIS market, including the "Big Almaty Ring Road" (BAKAD) and Ekibastuz GRES in Kazakhstan, Chisinau International Airport in Moldova, the first toll road PPP project in the Republic of Kyrgyzstan
- Airports in Russia
Advising Government of St Petersburg on the reconstruction and expansion of the Pulkovo airport, the third busiest airport in Russia (Winner of the 2011 Transport Deal of the Year award, Infrastructure Journal)
- Groundbreaking railway border infrastructure project
Advising SPV of a China-Russia investment fund in connection with a railway project for construction of a bridge connecting Russia and China which led to precedent changes in state tariff policies
- "Roman Churakov often assists public bodies and investors with high-profile infrastructure mandates as well as handling significant PPP projects. Sources highlight his project management skills and assistance with negotiations." - Chambers Europe 2021
- "easily spots risk areas and provides multiple solutions." – Chambers Europe 2020
- Named “Next Generation Partner” – Legal500 2020
- Ranked in Band 3 for PPP in Russia – Chambers Europe 2021
- "He is quick to find commercial solutions" – Chambers Europe 2019
- "He is ready to walk an extra mile to ensure we understand the commercial implications of the options offered by our counterparts" – Chambers Europe 2019
- The Public-Private Partnership Law Review – 7 Edition (2021) : Russia Chapter (by Olga Revzina, Roman Churakov and Lola Shamirzayeva)
Roman Churakov is an Of counsel in the Russian legal practice Herbert Smith Freehills College of Advocates of the city of Moscow.
His market leading position is confirmed by Chambers and Legal500 – Roman Churakov is ranked as the top tier for PPP in Russia. He is ranked also among recommended lawyers in Pravo.ru, IFLR and Best Lawyers editions.
Roman graduated from the Moscow state law academy and holds a bachelor degree in Russian law. In addition to native Russian, Roman is also fluent in English and Swedish.