Rohan has a broad national practice spanning all aspects of employment law, but his passion is enterprise bargaining. He regularly helps clients develop and implement strategies to achieve workplace change.
Rohan has developed a reputation as a first class negotiator, advocate and employment litigation strategist and works with clients from a range of industries including emergency services, financial services, manufacturing (automotive, food and beverage, packaging, paint and pharmaceuticals), retail, telecommunications and transport. He has particular expertise in the mining and resources, construction and infrastructure, energy and public sectors.
Rohan prides himself in helping clients develop tailored solutions for complex industrial issues that meet broader commercial objectives, whilst also managing risk. He understands this rarely allows a one-size-fits-all approach and makes a point of thinking outside the box for innovative, creative and practical solutions.
He is ruthlessly efficient, highly responsive and a leader in legal project management. Clients have commented on Rohan’s ability to cut through complex legal problems, develop strategies directed at the broader commercial objectives, deliver clear and concise advice, and convey solutions and options, with ease. It is a skill that translates into excellent outcomes.
Rohan is also the lead author of Herbert Smith Freehills’ text Bargaining under the Fair Work Act.
Rohan helped clients achieve first class outcomes on a number of recent high stakes industrial disputes and is a trusted advisor to some of Australia’s largest organisations.
Rohan is recognised by legal guides as one of the leading employment practitioners in Australia. He was named one of the three best lawyers under 30 in the country in the Workplace Relations category at the 2013 'Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30' Awards, and has since then been recognised in legal guides such as Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession, Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific Guide, Best Lawyers and Legal 500.
Rohan has deep experience in advising clients and running training workshops, including on the following:
- enterprise bargaining and industrial disputes, including negotiating with unions and other stakeholders – Rohan has been active in developing strategies to unwind enterprise agreements that have become unsustainable and regularly runs pre-bargaining strategic planning workshops on this topic
- industrial action – Rohan recently prevented industrial action on a large public infrastructure project from disrupting work on the critical path
- workplace change, including helping organisations manage change initiatives such as restructuring and redundancy, site closures and relocations, transfers of business, outsourcing and offshoring in a time and cost efficient manner and minimises disruption to the workforce
- labour models, including advising on ‘sham contracting’ risks and developing sustainable employment conditions, including for the start-up phase of major construction, mining and infrastructure projects
- picketing, secondary boycotts, union right of entry and construction code compliance – Rohan recently dispersed a picket of thousands of workers blockading a client’s site in the Melbourne CBD and secured contempt findings against a union for breach of Supreme Court orders relating to the picket.