He has extensive experience of dealing with regulators and law enforcement bodies across the world including Hong Kong, the UK and US. He has advised a range of high profile clients across a number of sectors including financial services, energy, health and manufacturing.
Robert regularly advises on compliance issues and has recently led a pan-Asian anti-corruption compliance project for a major financial institution. The project involved advising on risk mitigation under anti-corruption statutes in several Asian jurisdictions including the PRC, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan.
Robert is based in Hong Kong. Earlier in his career, he spent time working in other offices in the Herbert Smith Freehills network including London, Singapore and Jakarta.
In London, Robert was involved in numerous high-profile litigation and arbitration proceedings including commercial contract claims, tortious claims, shareholder actions, defamation claims, and competition litigation. During his time in Singapore and Jakarta he worked on a wide range of regional disputes including contentious regulatory matters, shareholder disputes, distribution agreement disputes and claims arising out of a large environmental disaster.
Robert is qualified in both England & Wales and Hong Kong.
- a US-based global manufacturer of medical devices on an investigation of alleged violations of the US FCPA and the anti-corruption provisions of the PRC Criminal Law
- a major US financial institution on an internal tax and anti-corruption related investigation in the PRC which included dealing with a number of PRC regulatory bodies and advising on compliance issues
- a major global energy company on an internal investigation into business practices concerning a joint venture in the PRC
- a major US-based financial institution on a pan-Asian anti-corruption compliance project which included risk mitigation under anti-corruption statutes in the PRC, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan
- a major international professional services company on an internal investigation into potential employee fraud in the Philippines
He focuses on investigations and compliance work and has advised clients on a wide range of issues arising from corruption, fraud, money laundering and other white collar crime and regulatory matters.
Robert has led investigations in several Asian jurisdictions including Hong Kong, the PRC, Korea and the Philippines.