Robert has extensive experience of dealing with regulators and law enforcement bodies across the world including Hong Kong, the UK and US. He has advised a range of high profile clients across a number of sectors including financial services, energy, health and manufacturing.
Robert regularly advises on corruption, fraud, money laundering and other white collar matters. He has led complex investigations across the globe including in Hong Kong, the PRC, Thailand, the Philippines, India and Indonesia. He has also led numerous multi-jurisdictional compliance projects for financial institutions and corporates.
Robert has recently moved back to London following a period of over 8 years in the firm's Hong Kong office during which he helped to build the firm's Asia corporate crime and investigations practice. Earlier in his career, he spent time working in other offices in the Herbert Smith Freehills network including Singapore and Jakarta.
Robert's experience includes advising:
- a US-based global manufacturer of medical devices on an investigation of alleged violations of the US FCPA and the anti-corruption provisions of the PRC Criminal Law
- a major US financial institution on an internal tax and anti-corruption related investigation in the PRC
- a major US-based financial institution on a pan-Asian anti-corruption compliance project which included risk mitigation under anti-corruption statutes in the PRC, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan
- a major international professional services company on an internal investigation into potential employee fraud in the Philippines
- a major US financial institution in respect of whistleblowing claims in India
- a major manufacturing company in relation to an accounting fraud in the PRC
- a US energy company in relation to tax, customs and corruption issues in Thailand
- a US construction company in relation to a criminal investigation arising out of employee misconduct in Hong Kong