Rich advises listed companies, financial sponsors and corporates on M&A, joint ventures, and commercial contracts.
He focuses on the consumer, fintech, and industrials sectors, and often advises on transactions involving private equity or venture capital. He also has extensive experience of real estate transactions. Rich's geographical focus is on the UK, Europe, and Africa.
This range of experience means that Rich understands our clients' operating environment, and enables him to provide genuine commercial insight in advising our clients.
Rich has worked at Herbert Smith Freehills since 2007, and qualified as a solicitor in 2009.
He has spent time seconded both to our other offices and to our clients, giving him significant experience of cross-border transactions and of our clients' internal priorities.
In 2008 he spent six months working in our funds team in Dubai, and from 2011 until 2013 was seconded to our Moscow M&A team, where he worked for Russian financial sponsors.
In 2013 he spent two months seconded to the Government of Sierra Leone in Freetown, advising on inbound investment as part of the firm's ground-breaking "Fair Deal Sierra Leone" programme. In 2015, he spent seven months seconded to Goldman Sachs' European Special Situations Group, where he advised on a number of early stage equity investments.
Since his return to London, Rich has developed a balanced practice which includes both public and private M&A, listed company advice, and private equity.
Rich has advised:
- TUI Travel PLC on its £5.2 billion all share merger with TUI AG
- United Spirits Limited on the £430m sale of the Whyte & Mackay whisky business
- Ping An Group on its c. £300m acquisition of the Mayborn Group, the maker of the popular "Tommee Tippee" infant products brands
- Qatari Diar on the formation of a £1.4bn residential property joint venture
- Tandem Money Limited, a fintech start-up, on several fundraising rounds
BPP Law School
Bristol University: BA (Hons) Modern Languages