Richard has been based in Tokyo since 2013, and is experienced in advising on complex corporate and commercial transactions, with a focus on cross-border M&A and joint ventures across a broad range of sectors, including TMT, energy, power, healthcare, agribusiness, mining, and renewables. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Richard worked in the London and Tokyo offices of another leading international law firm.
Richard has spent time on secondment to the legal department of a Japanese trading company for over 12 months, and to the legal department of a Japanese energy company for 6 months.
Richard has advised:
- SoftBank Group Corp. on its US$100 million investment into Indonesian online marketplace Tokopedia
- Silk Road Fund on its US$1.3 billion acquisition in PJSC Sibur Holding, Russia's largest gas processing and petrochemical conglomerate, China's largest investment in Russia in 2016
- SoftBank Group Corp. in relation to a bid to develop a mega-solar power project in India, including UK corporate law advice and review of joint venture agreements
- a Thai power and mining company on its acquisition of an interest in two solar power projects in Japan
- a Japanese trading company in relation to the commercial consignment arrangements with a UK-based independent aircraft parts and services company for an aviation spare parts business