Richard is an experienced competition and economic regulation lawyer. He has significant experience in merger clearances and authorisations, access and infrastructure regulation, and ACCC investigations and enforcement.
Richard has extensive conceptual and technical understanding which he uses to strategically advise clients on competition and regulatory matters across a number of sectors including energy, transport, infrastructure, and technology, media and telecommunications.
Selected experience includes:
- Tabcorp on applying to the Australian Competition Tribunal for authorisation to acquire Tatts Group Limited (value $11 billion)
- AGL on applying to the Australian Competition Tribunal for authorisation to acquire the key assets of Macquarie Generation (value $1.5 billion)
- Networks NSW (Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy and Essential Energy) on the successful applications for merits review of their 2015 distribution determinations and the subsequent judicial review brought by the AER, and related issues
- nbn on a number of regulatory and consumer law issues
- TransGrid on a number of regulatory and compliance issues, including advising TransGrid on its revenue resets for the regulatory control periods commencing in 2014 and 2018
Richard has a first class honours degree in law and a first class honours degree in economics both awarded by Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. Richard also has a master of laws from The University of Chicago Law School. Richard is admitted to the New Zealand High Court, the Queensland Supreme Court and the New South Wales Supreme Court.