Richard is based in London, but travels frequently to Hong Kong and Dubai having worked there previously. His practice is international and spans all major onshore and offshore jurisdictions globally, with a focus on Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Richard acts for ultra-high net worth individuals, their family offices, private banks and other advisers on a range of contentious and non-contentious trust and probate issues together with mental capacity, undue influence, charitable and family company matters. He also has extensive experience in acting for international banks and individuals in cases involving fraud.
Recent experience includes:
- advising the beneficiary of a multi-billion dollar offshore trust in relation to ongoing disputes with the trustee and other beneficiaries
- advising the executor of a US$1 billion Hong Kong estate in relation to administration of that estate in a number of offshore jurisdictions, including BVI, Jersey, Mauritius, Philippines and Turks and Caicos
- advising beneficiaries and protector of a multi-billion dollar Hong Kong law trust in relation to ongoing disputes with other beneficiaries, including allegations of undue influence
- advising the son of the deceased on his claims to a multi-million pound cross border estate
- advising a trustee on a claim against its professional advisers
- advising private banks in relation to transactions concerning trusts and estates
Memberships and Accolades
Richard is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), the Association of Contentious Trust and Estate Practitioners (ACTAPS) and The Charity Law Association.
He lectures widely on fraud, contentious trusts, mental capacity and probate issues and has written articles for publications including the STEP journal.
He is ranked by Chambers in the Private Wealth Disputes - London category and also as a "Foreign Expert Based in UK" in "China – Private Wealth Law".
He is listed as a Leading Individual in Legal 500 UK 2021 for Contentious Trusts and Probate.
He features in Citywealth’s Top 100 Trust Litigators 2020 list.
Legal directories comment that:
"Richard Norridge is very bright; he has a great legal mind and is responsive and efficient." Legal 500 UK 2021
"He is an excellent, collaborative, balanced and thoughtful individual." Chambers HNW 2020
"He is calm, considered and knowledgeable. He has a manner I find incredibly clear and helpful.” Chambers HNW 2020
"I would say technically the most competent I have worked with in the area of trusts, with a keen appreciation for the law. Coupled with his disputes background, he gives very sound and pragmatic advice." Chambers HNW 2020
"He is top-notch, top quality. He is very polished, efficient and thorough ... he is immensely experienced" Chambers HNW 2019
"Has a ‘good eye for detail and is always able to see the bigger picture which leads to a clear plan of action’." Legal 500 2018
Richard was named in the Legal Week Private Client Global Elite in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Richard obtained an LLB from King's College London and an LLM from Humboldt University, Berlin. He was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2005 and has been granted higher rights of audience. He was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2012.
He is fluent in both English and German.