Rex has been practising in the transport sector for almost 25 years, with particular expertise in the full range of structured financings of all large asset classes (including aircraft, ships and rolling stock). Rex's clients include banks, export credit agencies, lessors, investors and owners. His practice also encompasses the areas of business jet leasing and financing.
Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 both recognise Rex as a leading expert in aviation finance.
Rex's experience includes advising:
- TAP Air Portugal on the development and implementation of a €137 million financing transaction placed with institutional investors
- Virgin Atlantic Airways on its participation in the Connect Airways consortia (a joint venture company owned by Virgin Atlantic together with Stobart Aviation and Cyrus Capital Partners) in its acquisition of Flybe, the UK's largest regional airline, (including on the related share sale, a £20 million bridge finance facility, and additional financing for working capital purposes)
- joint venture partners on the purchase, novation, lease management and English law aspects of the financing of one Airbus A320 aircraft on lease to a European carrier
- a lender on the Japanese operating lease financing of 1 x A321 aircraft operated by British Airways
- Macquarie Bank, as arranger, and the investors on a first of its kind capital markets transaction which allows Virgin Atlantic to raise capital through a private placement of bonds secured by a portfolio of take-off and landing slots at London Heathrow Airport*
- the European Export Credit Agencies and several banks on the ECA-backed financing of seven Airbus aircraft delivered to Korean Air Lines, with commercial financing provided by Korea Development Bank*
* Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Rex is admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales. Rex obtained advanced degrees in law in Canada, where he also qualified as a barrister and solicitor (Quebec).
Rex is a fluent French speaker and has previously been based in Paris and Montreal, where he worked for major international law firms.