Rebecca advises public, private and third sector clients on domestic and international impact investment transactions and ESG matters more broadly, including in relation to risk management and market disclosure, as well as mission-led structures such as B Corps.
She has extensive experience advising on complex and innovative impact finance transactions involving registered charities and other regulated entities. Rebecca has also worked with a range of governments on the development of national social investment regulations.
Rebecca was seconded to the Government of Sierra Leone as legal adviser in the Office of the President in 2014, where she advised on the country’s response to the Ebola crisis. She has also previously worked on secondment with the UK National Council for Civil Liberties.
Rebecca has been recognised in NatWest's WISE100 list of the UK's most influential women in impact investment and in The Lawyer’s Hot 100 as “one of HSF’s most talented lawyers” and “a star pushing HSF forward in the ESG space”. She is listed as a “Rising Star” by The Legal 500 rankings, in which she is recommended for “providing a stellar service, with advice that is commercial, practical and technically excellent” and for “excellence in propelling the work of her clients”.
Rebecca's experience includes advising:
- Numerous corporates and financial institutions, including listed companies, investment banks and PE houses, in relation to ESG regulations in the UK and EU
- The Big Issue Group on the development of The Big Exchange, a financial marketplace providing access to ESG and impact investment opportunities for retail investors
- A UK-based specialist alternative asset management group on ESG issues relating to its investment in a provider of broadband internet services
- Impact Investment Partners on its commercial agreements and capital raise for the development of CreditEnable, a data analytics platform to improve access to capital for SMEs in emerging markets
- The Shell Foundation regarding strategic governance issues and programme-related and mixed motive investments, including in relation to the FMO-backed $120million Energy Entrepreneurs Growth Fund
- The Stone Family Foundation in relation to programme-related and mixed motive investments, and its wider social investment strategy
- The Social Tech Trust in relation to social investments and arrangements with the Social Tech Venture Fund
- The Impact Investing Institute in relation to strategic governance and regulatory matters, and regarding the European Commission's consultations on the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation, the revision of the Non-Financial Reporting Directive and the Renewed Sustainable Finance Strategy
- Legal Response International in connection with the UNFCCC negotiations for the Paris Agreement and its implementation
- The United Nations Refugee Agency in relation to the launch of its global consumer goods platform MADE51 and the establishment of its UK-based charity
- The Nesta Foundation on the spin-out of a major UK public service innovation programme
- GoFundMe regarding regulatory issues relating to the establishment of a presence in the UK
- Various corporates, including VivoPower and a major consumer goods plc, on issues relating to B Corp registration
- Beam, the world's first crowdfunding platform to tackle homelessness, on corporate structuring, capital raising and commercial agreements
- The Governments of Sierra Leone and Uganda in relation to national investment legislation
- AgDevCo in relation to the restructuring of a Ghana-based potential investee
- UnLtd in relation to arrangements with its partners, funders, investees and volunteers
- Numerous charities on incorporation, charitable registration, social investment, corporate governance and the duties of charitable trustees
Rebecca studied Modern History at the University of Oxford, after which she completed her law conversion in London.
She holds a range of board and committee positions:
- Chair of Trustees, UK for the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR)
- Board Member, Big Issue Invest Trust, The Big Issue Group
- Advisory Committee Member, London Impact Investing Network
- Member, Charity Law Association of England and Wales
- Trustee, Freetown Foundation CIO
- SME Advisory Board, Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council
Prior appointments include:
- Director, African Commercial Law Foundation
- Trustee, Prisoners' Advice Service
- Member, Oxfam Lawyers Against Poverty Steering Committee
- Member, European Banks Alliance Against Human Trafficking Expert Group