Raphaël is a disputes lawyer in the Paris office with a focus on internal investigations, compliance and white-collar crime litigation (in both defence and representing the claimant in relation to financial crime, fraud, etc.). Raphaël is also a specialist in commercial litigation and international private law.
Raphaël's experience includes designing global and domestic compliance programmes and policies as well as providing advice/ training in relation to ABC, AML and sanctions issues. Raphaël assists clients in relation to the implementation of the new Sapin II law requirements and handles various procedures initiated by the French Anticorruption Agency. He regularly delivers anti-corruption training sessions to French and non-French clients, in particular in Africa.
Raphaël also handles complex commercial litigations with high financial and/or reputational risks and all types of proceedings (proceedings on the merits, emergency/interlocutory actions, court-supervised expert investigations, etc.).
Raphaël has worked in both Paris and Shanghai. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, he worked with a major English bank on an anti-money laundering / sanctions project conducted by a compliance monitor appointed in accordance with a deferred prosecution agreement entered into with the U.S. Department of Justice.
Raphaël's experience includes advising:
- successfully advised a distribution giant in relation to the first case ever heard by the Enforcement Committee (Commission des sanctions) of the French Anti-Corruption Agency. The Enforcement Committee found the group to be fully compliant with the requirements of the Sapin II law.
- several French groups in relation to controls launched by the French Anticorruption Agency
- an international group in relation to an internal investigation relating to alleged improper/unethical conduct in Asia
- an international distributor on a criminal investigation related to corruption, money laundering and tax fraud allegations
- an industrial group in relation to an anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering and tax fraud risk assessment
- a major bank in the context of proceedings involving international financial sanctions issues
Raphaël graduated from Université Panthéon-Assas (Paris II), Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris I), University College London and University of Edinburgh.