Rachel helps clients in relation to a broad range of commercial disputes, with a particular focus on clients in the energy and TMT sectors. She has extensive experience of High Court litigation, international arbitration, expert determination and mediation.
Rachel has over 10 years' experience in advising clients in the oil, gas and power industries on contractual and other disputes. She also has significant experience in acting on IT disputes relating to complex outsourcing, systems integration and data management projects. Rachel's experience extends to acting on cases involving allegations of fraud, breaches of procurement law and professional negligence.
Rachel has contributed to the third edition of Liquefied Natural Gas: the Law and Business of LNG (ed. Griffin).
Rachel's experience includes:
- acting for London Underground and Transport for London in defending a claim by an unsuccessful bidder relating to the procurement of new AC traction engines for the Central Line
- acting for Newton Energy Limited in High Court proceedings against Crestar Integrated Natural Resources Limited in relation to a dispute concerning a Nigerian Oil Mining Licence
- successfully defending Bernie Ecclestone in a substantial High Court dispute regarding allegations of fraudulent conspiracy and acting for him in High Court proceedings against Bayerische Landesbank
- a major international technology company as Defendant in High Court proceedings arising out of its role as lead contractor in a substantial public sector systems integration project, and in a related procurement dispute
- representing a major North Sea operator in High Court proceedings defending a claim for unpaid invoices and advancing a counterclaim alleging breaches of contracts for the supply of drilling units
- advising Cavendish Fluor Partnership as the successful bidder in relation to a procurement challenge brought by EnergySolutions against the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority; also advising Cavendish Fluor Partnership and Magnox Limited in relation to a further claim brought by Bechtel in respect of the same procurement process
- a major North Sea operator on a substantial dispute with an oil services company relating to the supply of electrical submersible pumps
- various major European energy companies on price review arbitrations under long-term gas and LNG sale and purchase agreements, involving claims in connection with oil price trends, developments in world gas markets and the economic downturn
- an international wireless technology company in a Swedish Chamber of Commerce arbitration relating to the acquisition of GPS technology
- an African power company in an UNCITRAL arbitration relating to the supply of power to the mining industry
Rachel has a first class degree from Exeter College, Oxford