Rachata is a seasoned litigator with experience in advising both domestic and international clients on a wide range of commercial dispute resolution and criminal litigation. Rachata's expertise spans across a broad spectrum of areas, including international arbitration, cross-border disputes, class actions, commercial litigation, employment litigation, fraud and white-collar crime. Rachata is a guest lecturer at national law schools.
Rachata has been recognised as detailed and meticulous associate by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. He holds two master's degrees from Thammasat University and University College London. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Rachata worked as an associate at premier local and international law firms in Bangkok.
Experience in Arbitration
- domestic and international clients on employing institutionalised international arbitration as a dispute resolution mechanism, including representation of a publically listed company and one of the world's largest hotel companies with more than 1400 hotels in its portfolio pursuant to the Arbitration Rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre *
- domestic and international clients in arbitration with prudence and foresight from a Thai law perspective*
Experience in Class Action Suits
- domestic clients on defences against foreign class action suits, including the representation of one of the largest petroleum producers in Thailand in relation to class action suits launched in foreign jurisdictions *
- domestic and international clients against local class action suits, including the representation of one of the largest importer and distributor of high-quality household goods in a precedent-setting case as one of the first class action lawsuits in Thailand on issues relating to the decertification of a class, settlements specific to class actions, the calculation of damages and recourse mechanisms for class actions in Thailand *
Experience in Litigation
- domestic and international clients on legal issues specific to a wide range of industries, such as insurance, labour, automotive and aircraft, media and entertainment, and beauty and textiles. Noting in particular, the successful representation of an insurance company against a case filed by a Fortune 500 automobile company valued at THB 2.1 billion.*
- domestic and international clients on matters in relation to cyber fraud and white collar crimes, noting in particular, the representation of a real estate company on a case of multi-jurisdictional cyber fraud involving the amount of USD 10.5 million *
- domestic and international clients on the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and setting aside of arbitral awards at the Thai courts *
- domestic and international clients on a variety of labour disputes, including unfair termination, wrongful misconducts of employee, employer’s internal policies as well as general employment, and other labour matters including registration of work regulations *
- domestic and international clients on insurance matters, and on a wide range of commercial matters including trade disputes, and investment fraud *
- providing assistance as an expert witness, for domestic court cases as well as for cases before the Singaporean court on legal issues specific to a wide range of disputes, such as contract dispute, labour dispute, tax dispute, and family law *
*Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Featured as a “detailed and meticulous” associate
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018
- Thai Barrister-at-Law, Thai Bar Association – 2011
- Lawyers License, Lawyers Council of Thailand – 2009
Fluent in Thai and English, Rachata was admitted to practice in 2009. He received a bachelor's degree in law (2nd class honours) from Thammasat University and two masters' degrees from Thammasat University (International Trade Law) and University College London (Merit, International Commercial Law). Rachata is qualified as a Thai Barrister-at-law and is a current member of the Thai Bar Association.