Ryan is a Dispute resolution associate in the Johannesburg office.
Ryan has experience in a broad range of commercial disputes, acting for both local and international clients. His experience includes litigious disputes as well as dispute resolution through arbitration and mediation. He has a particular interest in banking and finance disputes and international commercial arbitrations. He also has experience in administrative reviews.
Ryan began his career in an international firm in January 2020 and joined Herbert Smith Freehills as an associate in October 2022. He is an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Ryan holds a Bachelor of Social Sciences degree specialising in Politics, Philosophy and Economics and a Bachelor of Commerce Honours Degree specialising in Economics from the University of Cape Town, as well as a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Experience & expertise
- one of the major South African banks regarding potential administrative review proceedings by various state-owned entities in respect of certain loan agreements and interest rate swap transactions concluded by the bank;*
- a foreign payment services provider in relation to urgent court and arbitration proceedings brought against a South African bank arising out of a contractual breach;*
- a South African bank in relation to insurance proceedings against international insurers and reinsurers arising from claims brought successfully against the bank in its capacity as the trustee of a collective investment scheme;*
- an international mining services provider in relation to a shareholders' dispute and various related proceedings, including disputes pertaining to rights issues, breaches of a shareholders' agreement, business rescue proceedings and Black Economic Empowerment partnerships;* and
- the South African Reserve Bank in relation to declaratory relief regarding the duties of appointed repayment administrators under South African banking legislation.*
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills