Rupert advises and represents clients on financial crime matters and commercial disputes.
Rupert is part of our top-ranked global Corporate Crime & Investigations team. He has experience of complex internal and external investigations and advises a wide range of financial and non-financial sector clients in relation to fraud, corruption, money laundering and international sanctions. He has also worked on a number of high-value commercial disputes.
Rupert has spent time on secondment in Herbert Smith Freehills’ Tokyo office, where he worked in our cross-Asia Corporate Crime & Investigations team. He has also lived in Hong Kong.
Rupert studied English Literature at Durham University (including a dissertation on the novels of Kazuo Ishiguro) and Law at Cambridge University.
Experience & expertise
- a major healthcare company on a number of internal corruption investigations into its business practices in Japan, China, India and other jurisdictions in Asia
- two UK financial institutions in respect of (separate) FCA investigations regarding potential failings in relation to their anti-money laundering systems and controls
- a UK insurance company in relation to a multi-million pound securities class action claim
- a French bank in relation to High Court proceedings in connection with historic derivatives transactions
- an Italian automobile manufacturer in its defence of follow-on damages claims arising from the European Commission's settlement decision in Trucks
- a consortium of 20 clients in relation to a ten-year project to survey the anti-corruption legislation of 125 jurisdictions, to help ensure that their employees act appropriately in relation to the provision of gifts and hospitality whilst overseas