Roman specialises in infrastructure and PPP projects.
For more than 17 years, Roman has advised clients on numerous infrastructure projects in the energy, transport, sports, utilities and tourism sectors in EMEA and Africa. Roman has contributed to drafting international standards around PPP and public procurement under the auspices of UNECE and CIS, including model PPP laws. Roman has led teams advising public, private and financiers' sides (including multilaterals) on a full-service turnkey basis.
Roman's corporate background also enables him to assist clients on projects' corporate angle, including with respect to infra M&A, JV set-up, SHAs and more. Roman's unparalleled knowledge of doing business in jurisdictions across Eastern Europe and CIS often makes him the primary contact for many would-be investors.
- Next Generation Partner in PPP and Infrastructure Projects – Russia by Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- Tier 1 in PPP/Infrastructure by pravo.ru - 300 2021
- Band 3 in Projects and Infrastructure (PPP) – Russia by Chambers Europe 2021, 2020 and 2019
- "Lawyer of the Year" in several nominations by Best Lawyers 2021
- "Roman Churakov often assists public bodies and investors with high-profile infrastructure mandates as well as handling significant PPP projects. Sources highlight his project management skills and assistance with negotiations." – Chambers Europe 2021
- "easily spots risk areas and provides multiple solutions." – Chambers Europe 2020
- "he is quick to find commercial solutions" – Chambers Europe 2019
- "he is ready to walk an extra mile to ensure we understand the commercial implications of the options offered by our counterparts" – Chambers Europe 2019
Roman graduated (with honours) from the Moscow State Law Academy in 2007. Prior to joining the firm in 2011, Roman worked for another leading law firm for six years.
Experience & expertise
- Total Eren on a major wind power plant project in Kazakhstan for the construction of 1GW onshore wind farm combined with 600 MW battery storage system
- A confidential client on a power purchase agreement in Uzbekistan for an onshore wind farm project
- a project company for the Birmingham Highways PFI project, on the restructuring of the project to address a series of construction phase issues, including replacing the principal subcontractor and managing related financing events of default
- Transmission Capital Partners as preferred bidder for the East Anglia 1 offshore transmission networks in the TR6 Ofgem auction round