Robert applies his extensive funds and M&A expertise to help clients structure, manage and deploy funds across a broad range of real assets (including real estate, infrastructure and renewables), funds M&A and platform transactions.
Robert works with leading Australian and international clients including real estate and infrastructure groups, fund managers, super funds, sovereign wealth funds, private equity funds and investment banks on all aspects of funds and capital structuring and formation, funds management and funds and capital transactions.
Robert’s practice includes:
- Funds and capital raisings - structuring and establishing funds and structured investment vehicles and associated capital raisings.
- Joint venture, club, consortium and mandate arrangements – negotiating joint venture, club, consortium and mandate arrangements across a broad range of structures.
- Private capital - acting for a range of private capital clients and financial investors on deploying capital into investment structures in Australia and offshore.
- Asset and platform transactions - the sale and acquisition of interests in a broad range of asset classes and platforms.
- Capital management – all aspects of capital and funds management including governance, licensing, liquidity and redemptions and restructures.
Robert holds both a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Business degree and is admitted to practice in NSW. His experience in the property and financial services industries include periods of secondment to Lendlease (as acting General Counsel) and MLC. Robert is also a member of the Property Council of Australia’s Corporate Finance Working Group.
Experience & expertise
- Structuring and consortium arrangements for Sydney Aviation Alliance’s successful A$23 billion bid for Sydney Airport.
- A series of transactions by which Ampol’s substantial convenience retail freehold sites were restructured into Australian trusts and NZ limited partnerships and a 49% stake sold down to funds managed by Charter Hall Group.
- Establishment of club arrangements for the A$1.5 billion Sydney Place project and the sell down of a 20% interest to a managed fund.
- Transactions for Commonwealth Bank of Australia including the ~A$4.13 billion sale of its Colonial First State Global Asset Management business to Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation, the A$1.7 billion sell down to KKR of a 55% stake in its Colonial First State superannuation and investment business and the merger of its Aussie Home Loans business with online mortgage broker Lendi.
- The sale of the Barangaroo South Precinct utility business (including thermal energy, embedded electricity, solar assets and recycled water) to CPE Renewable Infrastructure Unit Trust.