Risteard is Of Counsel practising international arbitration, ADR and litigation.
Risteard is a dual common and civil law-qualified lawyer with a focus on the construction, energy, environment and transport sectors. He has also developed a specialisation in climate change law, policy and dispute resolution. He has acted in both commercial and investor-State international arbitrations under a variety of institutional and ad hoc rules, including the rules of the ICC, ICSID, LCIA, Swiss Arbitration Centre and UNCITRAL. Fluent in English, French and Spanish, he has acted in proceedings in each language.
Recognised by Iberian Lawyer among the “Top 50 Rising Stars” in Spain and Portugal for 2020.
Member of the Task Force, created by the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, with the support of the ICC Commission on Environment and Energy, that published the Report on Resolving Climate Change Related Disputes through Arbitration and ADR.
Risteard has a First-Class degree in Law and French from Trinity College Dublin where he also received the French government Gold Medal for his final year results.
He recently completed a Masters degree in environmental regulation and regularly speaks and publishes on the topic of resolution of climate change and environment-related disputes.
Experience & expertise
- an international rail vehicle construction company in relation to a multimillion-dollar commercial dispute in South America*
- an European construction company in respect of a claim in excess of €200 million successfully pursued in ICC proceedings relating to the construction of a bridge in Central America*
- an Irish aviation company regarding its rights under the Cape Town Convention in respect of repossession of aircraft*
- a major European contractor in an ICC oil and gas-related refinery construction dispute involving claims exceeding €200 million*
- a Swiss-headquartered multinational in a multimillion-dollar commercial arbitration under the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration of the Swiss Arbitration Centre against a Middle Eastern company*
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills