Priya advises on a wide range of general employment law and industrial relations issues. Her practice covers all aspects of the employment relationship including: employment contract and policy preparation and review, issues around management and termination of employment, workplace investigations, employment litigation and enterprise bargaining/industrial disputes.
Priya has particular expertise in running litigation in Australian courts and tribunals and providing advice on employment rights and conditions. She has a strong interest in assisting clients to find practical solutions in light of their broader commercial objectives.
Priya assists clients in a broad range of employment and industrial relations matters, both in a litigious and general advisory context. She has worked with high profile clients across a range of industries and sectors including Toyota, CIMIC Group, Caltex Australia, nbn co, Commonwealth Bank of Australia and various government bodies.
Priya’s practice has a particular focus on litigious disputes and advice relating to unfair dismissals, general protections claims, employment contracts and policies, employee relations implications of operational restructures, enterprise bargaining, outsourcings and acquisitions (including transfer of business implications), disciplinary and performance management processes and international mobility. Priya is also able to provide training to clients on all aspects of the employment lifecycle.
Priya ensures that she establishes a clear understanding of her clients’ operational objectives and commercial pressures to enable her to deliver high quality, client-focused work.
- Defending a leading international contractor against a wrongful termination claim of a senior executive in the Supreme Court of Queensland and advising on rights to clawback share sale proceeds under company incentive plans
- Advising a multinational automotive company on its bargaining strategy following closure of vehicle manufacturing and drafting three new enterprise agreements to reflect reformed operations
- Acting for a major Australian bank in an interlocutory appeal before the Fair Work Commission involving complex issues around statutory secrecy provisions
- Acting for and advising a leading vehicle manufacturer in defending two unfair dismissal applications involving over 20 witnesses, a significant workplace investigation, and novel issues regarding redundancy and reinstatement
- Representing a building and construction regulator in the Federal Court of Australia in its prosecution of a union and an employer for taking ‘adverse action’ in breach of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth)
Priya holds a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Bachelor of Arts (Distinction). She has worked in the firm’s Sydney and Melbourne offices and is admitted as a solicitor of the High Court of Australia, the Federal Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of Victoria.