Philip helps corporations and governments resolve their business critical and complex disputes, and has a track record of achieving successful outcomes.
Philip specialises in international arbitration and public international law, and has significant experience of disputes in the IT, energy, financial services and private equity sectors.
Philip's practice is mainly in arbitration, but includes proceedings before the English and US Courts, internal investigations, enforcement actions, and other conflict situations.
Philip sits as arbitrator and is registered with the London Court of International Arbitration. Philip has acted as tribunal secretary to leading arbitrators and was the first HKIAC accredited tribunal secretary in private practice in Korea.
Chambers & Partners ranks Philip as an "Associate to Watch" for Dispute Resolution in Korea.
Philip's experience includes:
- the Government of Korea - Jin Hae Seo v. Republic of Korea - the first investment treaty arbitration under the US-Korea Free Trade Agreement
- one of Asia's largest private equity firms in HKIAC arbitration proceedings against another leading private equity firm, arising out of the sale of its shareholding in a Korean company
- an Asian private equity firm in an ICC arbitration concerning a post-M&A dispute in the financial services sector
- representing a leading Korean IT company in multiple joint venture, shareholder and other disputes across Asia and Europe
- the Government of Kazakhstan in four investment treaty arbitrations, two of which were ranked by The American Lawyer magazine in the list of top ten biggest defence wins for arbitration, the value of the claims in one case being USD6 billion*
* experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Philip read law at University College London and is fluent in English and Korean. Before moving to Asia, Philip served as the first Far East Asian Council Member of the Law Society of England and Wales, a Committee Member of the City of London Law Society and the Chairman of the British Korean Law Association. Philip is qualified in New York, England and Ireland, and is registered as a Foreign Legal Consultant in Korea as an Australia Registered Foreign Lawyer.