A specialist in litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution, Peter is the Managing Partner of the Kuala Lumpur office and head of the firm's disputes practice across Asia. He has practiced in Asia for 21 years of which 17 years was based in Japan. Consistenly recognised by legal directories as a leading lawyer, Peter is praised by Chambers Asia Pacific, 2019 as "commercially astute and a safe pair of hands". He is admitted to practice in England and Wales, Hong Kong, and is licensed to advise on foreign law in Malaysia.
He advises Asian and international companies on complex disputes in a numbers of sectors, including construction and infrastructure, energy, telecommunications, media & technology, pharmaceuticals, international trade and banking. His practice in these sectors includes all manner of contractual and other disputes including insolvency, fraud and employment issues.
Peter has experience of arbitrations conducted under a wide variety of institutional and procedural rules. He has handled numerous LCIA and ICC disputes, as well as matters under the rules of the AIAC, AAA, SIAC, HKIAC, Thai Arbitration Institute, JCAA and before both pure and ad hoc and UNCITRAL tribunals.
Peter has represented clients in arbitral centres in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, London, Mumbai, New York, Oslo, Paris, Singapore, Stockholm and Tokyo, and in disputes under English and other common and civil law systems.
In addition, Peter sits as an arbitrator and is a panel member of AIAC, SIAC, HKIAC and JCAA. He also has recent experience as an arbitrator under ICC and LCIA rules.
Recent experience includes representing:
- various Malaysian and international oil and gas companies and oil and gas service providers in an international arbitration seated in Singapore under the SIAC Arbitration Rules 2016
- a major Malaysian auto manufacturer on disputes arising out of a joint venture contract in China and a potential HKIAC arbitration
- a Middle Eastern company in JCAA arbitration proceedings for the non-renewal of a long term distribution agreement by a Japanese company
- a Japanese trading company in ad-hoc arbitration in London and in parallel TOMAC arbitration on a dispute arising from a series of shipbuilding contracts
- a European pharma company in ICC arbitration for a US$200 million dispute concerning the joint marketing of a drug in Japan
- a Japanese company in ICC arbitration for a US$50 dispute regarding a telecommunications satellite.
Peter is a member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Fellow of the Asian Institute for ADR. He is a panel member of JCAA, SIAC, AIAC and HKIAC.