Peter has extensive experience in litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution.
He advises Asian and international companies on complex disputes in a numbers of areas, including construction, energy, IP, IT, employment, joint ventures, fraud, telecommunications, international trade, banking and insolvency.
He has represented clients in arbitral centres in Bangkok, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, New York, Oslo, Paris, Singapore, Stockholm and Tokyo, and in disputes under English and other common and civil law systems.
Peter has acted in arbitrations under ICC, LCIA, HKIAC, SIAC, Thai Arbitration Institute, JCAA rules and before both pure and ad hoc and UNCITRAL tribunals. He also sits as an arbitrator and has recent experience under both ICC and JCAA rules.
Peter is the Head of Dispute Resolution in Asia and the managing partner of Herbert Smith Freehills’ Kuala Lumpur office. Prior to his relocation to Kuala Lumpur, Peter was based in Japan for nearly 15 years.
Ranked by Asia Pacific Legal 500 and Chambers Asia Pacific as a "leading individual" in dispute resolution since 2002 and 2008, respectively, Peter is qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales, and Hong Kong.
Peter's recent experience includes:
- representing the subsidiary of a major pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration proceedings relating to the temirnation of a drug-co-promotion agreement
- representing a Middle Eastern company in JCAA arbitration proceedings relating to the non-renewal of a long term distribution agreement by a Japanese company
- representing a Japanese trading company in ad-hoc arbitration in London and in parallel TOMAC arbitration on a dispute arising from a seiries of shipbuilding contracts
- representing a Japanese company in ICC arbitration regarding a US$150 million contract for the construction of a transcontinental telecommunications cable system and on its successful settlement
- advising an auto manufacturer in relation to a debt claim and other contractual issues arising from distribution arrangements in Europe and the US
Peter is a member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and Japan Arbitration Association. Panel Member of JCAA, SIAC and HKIAC.