With over 30 years’ experience he has become one of the key practitioners to whom employers turn when they need to achieve the best outcome in a bet the company dispute. Peter helps clients in a range of sectors deal with test cases affecting many employees, group litigation commenced by large groups of employees , the recruitment and retention of key executives and teams, and disputes with trade unions involving bargaining rights or industrial action.
Peter routinely deploys novel, multidisciplinary strategic analysis to achieve the client’s objectives and frequently collaborates with other practice groups and offices in the firm including its competition , private international law and public law practices. He increasingly helps clients solve disputes with an international dimension. Peter has recently spearheaded an international initiative to promote the resolution of employment disputes via alternative forms to the traditional High Court and Employment Tribunal. These include domestic and international arbitration, mediation, early neutral evaluation and expert determination. He has also worked with clients to develop internal ADR schemes including workplace mediation schemes.
Peter’s experience includes advising
- The Church Commissioners for England on the determination of the employment status of thousands of priests in the Church of England, a test case finally determined in the Court of Appeal
- Marathon Asset Management in relation to a suite of disputes in an arbitration, the Employment Tribunal and the High Court with a founder member, Jeremy Hosking, and a team of ex- employees
- A major international supermarket on its strategy for conducting the defence to thousands of claims under the equal pay provisions of the Equality Act
- Merrill Lynch on a successful defence to a high profile victimisation claim by a former member of its legal department
- Oil and Gas Limited on a test case concerning the calculation of holiday entitlement for thousands of offshore workers under the Working Time Regulations
Peter has lectured on employment dispute resolution both in the UK and abroad and written extensively on the topic. He was one of a small number of lawyers consulted by the UK Government recently regarding the promotion of methods of settling employment disputes. He has been recognised for many years in all the major legal directories as one of the UK’s leading employment lawyers and has recently been described by Chambers as a “superb litigator “ who “considers all angles of a problem.”