Paul leads the insurance disputes team in London and works with clients on all aspects of insurance and professional negligence disputes. He assists policyholders, insurers and brokers with claims under liability policies including professional indemnity, directors and officers, Bermuda form and crime. Paul also assists clients with political and credit risk policies.
Paul has extensive experience of professional negligence claims. He has defended a range of professionals including insurance brokers, pensions intermediaries, solicitors, accountants and valuers. Paul heads the firm's cross practice group handling pensions litigation, and is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
Legal 500 UK 2015 describes Paul as a "a client favourite due to his commercial, straightforward manner" and Chambers UK 2014 recognises that he "acts on complex insurance litigation cases for some of the team's most prominent clients, with a focus on professional indemnity matters". Legal 500 UK 2015 ranks Paul as a leading individual for insurance litigation for policyholders.
Paul's work with clients has assisted Herbert Smith Freehills in becoming a preferred service provider for the Association of Insurance and Risk Managers (Airmic).
Paul's experience includes advising:
- Marsh & McLennan on a number of their most significant claims, including assisting with disputes in different jurisdictions such as Australia, South America, Norway, France, Canada and the United States
- Ernst & Young, as administrators of Nortel’s European, Middle Eastern and African entities, in handling insurance-coverage aspects of the administration
- a leading retail bank in handling coverage issues arising out of sub-prime litigation both in the US and UK
- a leading financial institution on a major "Side C" D+O claim, thought to be one of the largest in the London market
- a leading company market insurer on its participation on a liability programme in respect of claims arising out of a European rail disaster