Pietro is a commercial and civil litigation specialist with an expertise in Intellectual Property.
Pietro has a solid experience in a wide range of commercial litigation matters with an emphasis on complex contractual disputes and intellectual property. His practice covers general commercial dispute resolution and he has substantial experience across the whole range of IP rights, including trade marks, unfair competition, patents, design, copyright, know-how and product liability. He has handled complex cross-border civil litigations and commercial transactions and regulatory matters before national and international authorities.
Pietro helps multinational clients in judicial proceedings, administrative actions for oppositions and nullifications as well as international arbitrations in foreign jurisdictions, including in China, in India and in the US.
He has gained deep experience in a number of industries, including design, fashion, consumer products, telecoms, automotive and energy.
Pietro joined Herbert Smith Freehills' Milan office in January 2018, having gained more than 15 years' experience with an international firm, and prior to that with one of the most renowned and established Italian Firms.
He is ranked in International and Italian directories in the fields of Intellectual Property and Litigation and is a frequent lecturer to University classes on Intellectual Property matters. In 2017, Legal Community named him as Upcoming IP Lawyer of the Year. Chambers and Partners Italy currently ranks Pietro as a Recognised Practitioner for IP. Pietro won best lawyer in the food law sector at the TopLegal Industry Awards 2023.
He is a graduate of the Università Cattolica of Milan, he holds an LL.M. degree in Intellectual Property from the Duke School of Law (N.C. – USA). He was admitted to the Italian Bar in 2004 and is a member of LES and AIPPI.
Experience & expertise
- assisting an artificial intelligence developer on complex patent infringement and unfair competition proceedings
- advising a market-leading telescopic handler in relation to a multi-jurisdictional patent infringement case
- advising a leading multinational consumer electronics company in relation to design infringement actions across Europe
- assisting Italy's largest valve manufacturer in relation to the protection of its IP assets and its commercial relationship with suppliers and distributors
- advising an energy giant company in relation to a climate change case instigated in the U.S.A.
- advising an Italian oil & gas company in relation to litigation strategy and potential preliminary injunction alongside pending arbitration
- assisting a local broadcasting company in relation to civil and commercial aspects related to an acquisition
- advising a State think tank tasked with introducing innovation to the market in relation to a dispute concerning the breach of an agreement relating to block chain technology
- assisting a leading telecoms company in relation to arbitration proceedings
- advising a multinational tobacco manufacturer in relation to a number of IP-related cases, including regulatory aspects connected with product launches, advertising al labelling
- advising one of the most well-known Italian commercial broadcaster with a copyright infringement case
- assisting a major recruitment agency in relation to a cybersquatting case
- assisting a leading airline in relation to IP related aspects of an M&A deal