Philip is a specialist competition, consumer and regulatory lawyer and has practised in Australia, the UK and the European Union. He advises on worldwide merger control approvals, and represents clients in a range of competition law, consumer law and regulatory inquiries, investigations and enforcement proceedings.
Philip advises on complex competition, consumer and regulatory matters across a broad range of sectors, including financial services, consumer products, mining and resources, energy, infrastructure, aviation and health and pharmaceuticals.
He advises on all aspects of competition law, including significant mergers, authorisations, infrastructure developments, privatisations, access issues, joint venture arrangements, distribution arrangements, as well as ACCC investigations and enforcement. Philip has acted for clients in relation to ACCC investigations and proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia and the Australian Competition Tribunal and has assisted clients in responding to dawn raids in multiple jurisdictions.
Philip is admitted to practise in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Philip holds a Juris Doctor and a Bachelor of Science (with dual majors in psychology and applied mathematics), from the University of Melbourne. He also has a postgraduate diploma of European Competition Law from King’s College London and has completed the Dispute Resolution course at the University of Barcelona’s International Economic Law and Policy Organisation.
Experience & expertise
- NAB on its proposed acquisition of Citigroup’s Australian consumer business
- Tabcorp Limited in relation to the proposed merger with Tatts Group Limited to create a diversified gambling entertainment group
- Olex Australia in relation to successfully defending proceedings brought by the ACCC in the Federal Court alleging that Olex had been involved in cartel conduct
- Lonsdale Consortium in relation to the successful $10 billion acquisition of Port of Melbourne
- Murray Goulburn Cooperative Co in relation to the ACCC investigations and proceedings
- PFD Food Services in relation to the sale of a 65% interest to Woolworths Limited
- Virgin Atlantic in relation to the worldwide merger and competition filings related to the expanded Transatlantic Joint Venture between Virgin Atlantic, Delta Air Lines and Air France KLM and the proposed acquisition by Air France KLM of a 31% interest in Virgin Atlantic