Peter is one of Australia’s leading private equity and venture capital lawyers, specialising in M&A and private capital raisings.
Peter has advised on multibillion-dollar transactions, including acquisitions, buy-outs, disposals, joint ventures and recapitalisations, involving some of Australia’s largest public and private organisations.
Peter has extensive experience in equity and debt capital raisings, debt financing, management and leveraged buy outs, and trade sale & IPO exits. His understanding of private equity and venture capital, in conjunction with public markets expertise and M&A credentials provides significant competitive advantage to clients.
He has worked with a number of private equity houses on the disposal of portfolio investments and has been involved in leveraged acquisition market, advising both private equity houses and leveraged financiers on the financing aspects of many landmark transactions.
Peter also assisted the Federal Government on its reforms to the federal tax system to facilitate start up capital raisings and employee share schemes.
Recently, Peter was recognised as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ in Australasian Legal Business Magazine’s Private Equity practice area guide and ranked as one of Australia’s 20 ‘Leading Experts’ in private equity law on ExpertGuides.com.
Peter has a Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Monash University, and a Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance from the Securities Institute of Australia. He is admitted to practise in New South Wales and Victoria, as well as England and Wales.
Experience & expertise
- companies, investors and family funds on numerous expansion capital investments including investments in Atlassian, Canva, Deputy, 99designs, Ansarada, AgriSystems, BigCommerce, Bluestone, Brands on Show, Buckitdream, Campaign Monitor, CDRU, Cloud9, Cognitive Platforms, Culture Amp, Data Republic, :Different, Docta, Elanation, Expert360, Gamurs, Gilmore Space Technologies, Identitii, Instaclustr, Inamo, Investible, Iron Mountain, Kasada, Laava, Mentorloop, Nura Holdings, OzForex, PageUp People, PlayersVoice and World Customs Portal., Predict HQ, SafetyCulture, Shoretrade, Shopsmart, Simple Technology, Social Garden, TimeBase, Tyro Payments, UrbnSurf, Unlock’d, We are Social and Zoox
- on the buy-outs of All Trades Queensland, Aperio, Bluestar & Geon Printing, Billy Hyde, Get the World Moving, Next Media, New Price Retail, Godfreys, Safety-Kleen Europe, SCI, Skybus, Sulliar and Sundyre Industrial Products, Transonic, Taverner Hotels and William Hill plc
- on the takeover of the Just Jeans Group by Catalyst and subsequent acquisitions by Just Jeans of the Portmans Group and the Mooks and Stussy Australian businesses, the refinancing of the Just Jeans Group and the $430 million IPO of the Just Jeans Group
- Warburg Pincus on its cornerstone investment in Transpacific Industries and Transpacific’s associated A$800 million accelerated entitlement offer, partially underwritten by Warburg Pincus, resulting in Warburg Pincus holding 30.7% of Transpacific
- Commonwealth Bank in relation to the A$2.1 billion acquisition of BankWest
- Perpetual on its acquisitions of the Argosy wealth management business, the Wignalls lending business, the National Lending Solutions business and the SmartSuper business
- Challenger on its acquisition of MetLife Insurance’s A$2 billion annuity, pension and superannuation liabilities and acquisition of AXA’s A$1 billion annuity liabilities by schemes of arrangement
- IMO in relation to its Australian alliance and network roll-out