Peggy is a Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT) lawyer specialising in data and cyber laws in Asia.
Peggy is a leading data and cyber practitioner in Asia with particular focus on mainland China, Hong Kong and Singapore. She also advises on the EU GDPR.
Peggy's Asia data and cyber practice covers (i) regulatory and compliance including data protection, data security and data localisation; (ii) cyber security resilience, cyber security incident responses and investigation; and (iii) data commercialisation such as data ownership and data sharing agreements.
Her Asia practice covers North Asia (Japan and South Korea), Greater China (mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan), and Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, India, etc).
Peggy holds the CIPP/A (Certified Information Privacy Professional/ Asia) qualification. Peggy has spoken at numerous conferences on Asia data protection and GDPR in the region.
Her practice covers the following areas:
Asia data protection and cybersecurity
Peggy’s data and cyber security practice covers (i) regulatory and compliance (e.g. data processing, cross-border data transfer, data breach response, etc.); (ii) data commercialisation, data ownership/control and data sharing issues; and (iii) cyber security (risk management, pre-breach documentation and post-breach responses).
Telecoms regulatory and Internet
Peggy advises on telecoms and e-commerce regulations in Asia.
Peggy also advises on intellectual property strategy, due diligence and licensing agreements.
Peggy has been recognised as
- "Peggy Chow is a trusted advisor on regional data and cyber laws." Legal 500 Singapore TMT 2023;
- a Leading Practitioner for Privacy and Data Protection in Singapore by Women in Business Law 2022;
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers - independently rated lawyers in 2022;
- a Rising Star in APAC by IFLR in the privacy and data protection category in 2021;
- an Expert in the Rising Stars Expert Guide for her work in privacy and data protection in 2020 and 2021; and
- a Next Generation Lawyer in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide in 2017 and 2018.
Peggy holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Business Administration (Law) from the University of Hong Kong. She also has a Master of Law from University College London.
Peggy is admitted to practise in Hong Kong and England and Wales. She is also a registered foreign lawyer in Singapore.
Peggy is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese (spoken and written).
Experience & expertise
- a Europe-based financial services provider on its data protection compliance project covering 15 APAC jurisdictions
- a China-based financial technology company on data privacy law issues in Asia
- a US investment bank on its data protection law compliance project including reviewing privacy statement for a newly launched mobile app, and general customer and vendor contracts review
- various Asian based conglomerates and financial institutions, on their GDPR compliance projects
- Southeast Asia's biggest technology company and super-app for ride-hailing, food delivery and payment solutions on its joint venture with a prominent insure-tech company and one of the largest global technology funds for an insurance intermediary business in Southeast Asia
- an international healthcare product supplier on data breach notifications and filings in APAC covering more than 10 jurisdictions
- a US private equity fund on telecoms licensing and other regulatory issues in relation to its acquisition of the fixed communications business from Hutchison in Hong Kong
- an Australian-based telecoms operator on its proposed joint venture with the incumbent telecoms operator in Indonesia for cloud, unified communications, security and network services
- a private equity fund on the intellectual property aspects in relation to its joint venture with a European partner for a number of European apparel brands in Greater China including conducting IP due diligence and advising on various IP agreements