Olivier has a wealth of experience, across different industries, in assisting clients with their African transactions and projects. He has worked in more than 40 countries on the continent and is especially recognised for his ability to integrate country specific challenges in transaction structuring and negotiations.
Chambers Global consistently ranks Olivier amongst the leading advisers on the African continent and especially recognises his expertise on the Democratic Republic of Congo and in Francophone Africa.
Olivier is fluent in English, French, Lingala and Dutch.
Olivier's experience includes advising:
- Ivanhoe Mines in relation to its Kamoa-Kakula and Kipuishi projects in the DRC*
- Vale on issues of mining law, employment law and infrastructure development for its Simandou project in Guinea*
- Philips on the African aspects of its split into two companies globally*
- IBM on setting up operations in more than 30 African jurisdictions, including advising on various corporate regulatory and commercial aspects in relation to IBM’s outsourcing agreement with Bharti Airtel*
- Tiger Brands on the exit from its joint venture in Ethiopia*
*Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Olivier holds a Master in Laws from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Belgium) and a Master International Security and Defence from the Université Pierre Mendès France (France).