Oliver has over 5 years of experience practicing arbitration. He has acted as counsel, arbitrator, administrative secretary or assistant to the tribunal in more than 30 cases under the rules of the main institutions and under various applicable laws in Europe and Latin America. Oliver has also participated in court proceedings related to arbitration.
Oliver is an adjunct professor at IE University and co-chair of the young practitioners group of the Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA-40). He has been involved in projects of the IBA Arbitration Committee, such as assisting the Chairman of the Conflicts of Interest Subcommittee that drafted the IBA Guidelines on Conflicts of Interest in International Arbitration 2014 and reviewing the translation of those guidelines from English to Spanish.
Oliver's experience includes:
- representing an Italian group in a USD1.2bn multi-party arbitration concerning a contract for the construction of a power plant (ICC, Santiago de Chile, Chilean law, Spanish)*
- representing a Spanish company in an arbitration against an Asian company concerning a contract for the manufacture and delivery of aluminium cable (ICC, London, French law, English)*
- representing four infrastructure companies from Latin America and Spain in an arbitration concerning a contract for the construction of a highway (ICC, Madrid, Costa Rican law, Spanish)*
- representing an African company in various exequatur proceedings concerning the awards issued in an ICC arbitration seated in Paris (Spanish courts)*
- sole arbitrator in a dispute between two individuals in relation to a lease agreement (CAM, Madrid, Spanish law, Spanish)*
*Experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Oliver holds an LL.M. with specialization in corporate and commercial law from Maastricht University. He also holds a double degree in Law and Business Management from Universidad de Valladolid.