Oleg has been practicing law since 1993 and has developed a reputation as one of the best tax advisers in Russia. He advises on national and cross-border corporate and individual taxation, and represents clients in all stages of disputes with tax authorities, including tax audits, and administrative and court appeals against tax inspection decisions.
Oleg's focus has been on international taxation, including CFC rules, tax residency controversies and complicated cross-border situations. He has been ranked in the 1st band by Chambers Europe for tax in Russia since 2008.
Oleg also has considerable experience in corporate matters. His corporate practice focuses on M&A and joint ventures in a variety of sectors including oil and gas, metals and mining, telecommunications and infrastructure.
Oleg's experience includes advising:
- Beijing Gas Group on the US$1.1 billion acquisition of a 20% stake in Verkhnechonskneftegaz from Rosneft
- Silk Road Fund on the acquisition of a 10% stake in the largest Russian petrochemical company Sibur
- MITSUI & CO on the acquisition of a 10% stake in R-Pharm, one of the biggest Russia's pharmaceutical companies
- Russian investment fund United Capital Partners on the joint acquisition with European commodities trader Trafigura of a 49.13% stake in Essar Oil Limited and the Essar ports, refinery and retail businesses at an enterprise value of US$12.9 billion, simultaneous with the acquisition of a 49.13% stake by Rosneft
- Heinz on Russian tax implications in connection with its internal group restructuring
- "He is very responsible, he really pays attention to detail and is very accessible" Chambers Europe 2017
- "Top-ranked Oleg Konnov holds an outstanding reputation for his work in international taxation for both businesses and private clients" Chambers Europe 2016
- "one of the best tax lawyers in Russia", combining "excellent technical skills" with "practical advice" Legal500 EMEA 2015
- "very responsive" Chambers Europe 2015
- "Clients are quick to highlight his deep knowledge and theoretical understanding of Russian and international tax law" Chambers Europe 2015
- "Sources highlight Oleg Konnov's 20 years of experience and endorse him for his ability to be creative and look at things in a new and fresh way. He is recommended for complex international taxation" Chambers Global 2014
- Hossein Dehghan: To Russia for Arms. Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan paid a visit to Moscow – the first one since the sanctions were lifted – meeting with President Putin and looking to harvest a rich crop of multi-million dollar arms deals. Kyrill Koktysh, associate professor at the Moscow State Institute for International Relations(studio guest); Oleg Konnov, a Herbert Smith Freehills law firm partner (from Moscow); Ben Hartman, political observer at The Jerusalem Post (from Jerusalem); and Lana Ravandi-Fadai, Senior Researcher at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, shared their perspectives.
- Chambers Global Practice Guide for Energy: Oil & Gas, Russia – Law & Practice, Chambers Global Practice Guides, 2016
Oleg graduated from the international law department of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations and received a Candidate of Sciences from the Institute of State and Law at the Russian Academy of Sciences. He joined the firm in 2007 as a partner. Prior to that, he was a partner at another international law firm and worked at a major consultancy firm.
Oleg is a member of the International Fiscal Association and lectures on international tax law at the Moscow State University.
Oleg is an advocate in Advocate's Bureau "Herbert Smith Freehills".