Based in our Paris office, Nila is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa and an Avocate au Barreau de Paris.
Nila has advised clients on a range of mergers, acquisitions and disposals, joint venture structuring and project development, incorporating regulatory advice, primarily in the mining, upstream oil and gas and power sectors. She has experience in assisting clients in their single or multi-jurisdictional projects and transactions.
Nila frequently works on matters in Francophone African jurisdictions, in addition to projects in South Africa and other Anglophone African countries, and her experience extends to the legal system of the Organisation pour l'Harmonisation en Afrique du Droit des Affaires (Organisation for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa) (OHADA).
Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills, Nila worked in the Oil & Gas and Africa Mining departments at the Johannesburg, South Africa office of Webber Wentzel. She is of English mother tongue and also speaks French.
Nila's experience includes advising:
- subsidiaries of Kinross Gold Corporation on various matters relating to their gold mining operations in Ghana and Mauritania
- IBM on setting up operations in more than 30 African jurisdictions, including advising on various corporate, regulatory and commercial aspects in relation to IBM’s outsourcing agreement with Bharti Airtel*
- a confidential client on various mining assets in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and corresponding agricultural corporate social investment initiatives*
- a confidential client on all aspects of its upstream oil operations in South Africa and certain aspects of its upstream operations in neighbouring jurisdictions to South Africa*
- the sponsor on the early stages of an approximately USD4-6 billion LNG import to gas fired power project in Southern Africa*
*Experience gained prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills
Nila is admitted as an Attorney and Notary of the High Court of South Africa and an Avocate au Barreau de Paris.
She obtained a BA degree (2007) and an LLB degree (cum laude) (2009) from the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.