Nihar helps financial services institutions with advice on handling high profile and complex litigation and enforcement proceedings.
Over the years, in both London and Dubai, Nihar has worked on a broad range of financial disputes and investigations which have involved large disclosure exercises, trial preparation and advice on strategy. In addition, Nihar has spent time on secondment at Lloyds Bank and Barclays Global Investors where she enhanced her understanding of financial products, and our Dubai office where she advised DIFC based financial services providers on compliance with the regulatory rules of the Dubai Financial Services Authority when structuring the offering of financial products.
Nihar is part of a team which is well renowned in the legal and financial services industry for its expertise. Examples of awards which this team has won include:
- Financial News Financial Litigation Team of the Year
- The Lawyer Litigation Team of the Year
- Legal Business Dispute Resolution Team of the Year
Nihar's recent experience includes advising:
- Goldman Sachs on its successful defence of a $1bn lawsuit brought by the Libyan Investment Authority in relation to its sovereign wealth fund
- Credit Suisse on its successful defence in relation to a dispute concerning the sale of a major oil field in Azerbaijan
- a major UK bank on mis-selling allegations from customers in relation to its interest rate hedging products
- a key UK Bank on a fraud investigation conducted by UK criminal and regulatory authorities
- UAE based financial service providers in relation to regulatory rules and investigations by the Dubai Financial Services Authority
Nihar has a LLB Honours degree in Law from the London School of Economics. She was admitted to the England and Wales Law Society Roll in September 2009.
Nihar trained and qualified with Herbert Smith in London and spent two years in the firm's Dubai office.