Nick specialises in advising private and public sector clients on UK and multi-jurisdictional outsourcing, business transformation, IT service provision, major systems implementation and technology procurement, communications, software development, licensing, cloud, e-commerce, cyber security, digital transformation, data protection and complex commercial projects. His expertise extends across multiple industry sectors.
Nick has advised:
- Banco Sabadell and TSB on TSB's exit from £2 billion long term outsourcing contract with Lloyds' and on the subsequent £450m deal to design and build and migrate TSB to a new state-of-the-art digital IT platform to enable TSB to operate as a digitally enabled challenger bank in the UK market (one of the largest and most complex IT projects in Europe)
- Transport for London on its £660m procurement and outsourcing of the operation of its ticketing and revenue collection systems and services across TfL's travel network, including the next generation of technology for the iconic Oyster card and contactless payment systems for the 9 million journeys made on London's transport network each day
- Clear.Bank on its establishment as the UK's fifth clearing bank and the first new clearing bank in over 250 years, transforming the digital clearing bank market with a modern, purpose built and cloud-based digital banking platform. It is the only known bank to design and build its entire digital banking platform from scratch
- Boeing Defence UK Limited on a strategic £110m "blue-light" outsourcing and business transformation project in partnership with Police and Crime Commissioner for Staffordshire (PCC) to execute a force-wide transformation programme to support PCC's objective to be the most technologically advanced police service in the country. HSF was ranked in "standout" category at the FT Innovative Lawyer Awards 2016 for "Innovation in Strategic Collaborations for Clients" for its work on this project
- Ministry of Defence ("MOD") in relation to the transformation of all of MOD's current IT systems and supplier ecosystem, including advising on strategy and re-procurement of all existing IT services, redesigning and restructuring its IT sourcing arrangements and ensuring that MOD is able to benefit from advances in technology
- a FTSE 100 business services provider in relation to contract arrangements for a new IT platform and business process outsourcing services to support the provision of mortgage operations and mortgage origination services to a major UK bank servicing more than 250,000 mortgage customers and £23billion of lending
- Friends Life on its transformational global outsourcing of services for over £100bn of assets with HSBC Bank plc. The strategic deal covers the outsourcing of functions relating to Friends Life's life and pension business, covering investment administration and fund accounting, custody and depository services as well as the development of and migration to a new IT platform
- Google EMEA on their BAU deals for their technical infrastructure including network acquisition, capacity and data centres, to support its growth and expansion across EMEA
- Man Group plc on its complex £220 million global outsourcing and IT transformation project with multiple vendors. Nick's team was awarded 'Commercial Team of the Year' at the British Legal Awards for their work on this transaction
- a leading bank and insurance company on its £900 million multi-tower IT outsourcing and transformation project with multiple vendors using the SIAM and towers model
- The Cabinet Office/MyCSP on the Government’s pathfinder mutual joint venture project for the partial divestment of the civil service pension provider, and on the outsourced services arrangements and procurement of a new IT platform for pension administration services disbursing £4 billion of pension payments each year
Nick is a regular speaker at conferences on sourcing, data and TMT issues and is often cited in the legal and national press on the latest trends and issues facing the sector. Nick is a member of the Professional Board for the Computer Law and Security Review.
Nick is ranked in Band 1 of the Chambers legal directory for Outsourcing and as a Key Individual for IT/communications and complex commercial projects work in the Legal 500 and Chambers directories. Described by clients as "tremendously talented" and "[having] excellent technical ability" and "a telepathic knowledge of what was needed and what our business was all about."
Recent outsourcing, IT and business transformation projects have won him and his team "TMT Team of the Year" award at the British Legal Awards 2015 and Standout category for "Innovation in strategic collaborations for clients" by the FT Innovative Lawyers 2016. The team also won "Advisory of the Year" at the Global Sourcing Association awards for advising on a range of outsourcing projects "offering a unique combination of superior industry knowledge, genuine cross-practice teams and exceptional quality and service."