Nick is a Senior Associate in the contentious construction and engineering practice.
His experience covers most forms of dispute resolution, with a particular focus on international arbitrations arising out of major infrastructure projects.
Nick helps owners, employers and contractors of major international projects navigate the often complex issues arising in their disputes. He has an in-depth understanding of the various issues relating to time, cost and quality that commonly arise in construction disputes. He has experience of working with various technical experts and can leverage their evidence in legal argument to achieve a commercially favourable result.
Nick has worked on disputes arising out of projects in a range of industries, including the energy, oil and gas, rail and healthcare sectors.
Nick's experience includes advising:
- a consortium of international contractors on a USD22.5 billion metro project for metropolitan railway lines, stations and rolling stock
- a Japanese heavy industries company on a multi-billion dollar dispute arising from an power project in Africa
- an international consortium of contractors on ICC arbitration proceedings arising out of the termination of a £250 million EPC contract for a substantial infrastructure project in Europe
- a major global energy supplier on DIS international arbitration proceedings relating to an EPC contract for the construction of a biomass plant in South America
- a Korean IT company on an anticipated ICC arbitration in Tokyo company on issues arising under an EPC contract and O&M Agreement with the project owner for a solar power plant in Japan
- a major Japanese trading house in a dispute (ICC arbitration) with the national power company in respect of claims relating to a contract for the development, construction, operation and maintenance of a coal-fired power plant in Europe
- a Japanese contractor regarding on-going issues arising under an EPC contract for the construction of a chemical plant in Central Asia
Before beginning his career in law, Nick read Classics (Latin and Ancient Greek) at Balliol College, Oxford. He then completed the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course at BPP law school in London.
Nick joined legacy Herbert Smith in London as a trainee in February 2009, qualifying as a solicitor of England and Wales in March 2011 after a six month secondment to the Herbert Smith office in Paris.
Nick obtained Higher Rights of Audience as an advocate in the courts of England and Wales in 2013. After an 18 month secondment to the HSF office in Tokyo, Nick is now based in Dubai.