Nick is a member of the firm's India Executive. He also works closely with the Moscow office on English law Russian disputes and co-chairs our Nordic Group. Nick previously led the Singapore arbitration practice.
Nick specialises in commercial and investment treaty arbitration, and is also experienced in handling complex commercial litigation. He appears as an advocate in arbitral tribunals and before the English court. He also sits as an arbitrator.
Nick is consistently recognised by the leading legal directories. Chambers Global legal directory describes Nick as "in demand as a leading arbitration lawyer", and reports client comments that "He delivers what he says he can deliver. He's our first port of call for bet-the-company litigation.”
Nick currently serves as a director of the International Dispute Resolution Centre (IDRC) in London, and on the Users Council of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC). He is also a Council Member for the Mumbai Centre for International Arbitration (MCIA).
Nick's experience includes advising:
- A major Russian bank on emergency arbitration proceedings, and subsequent LCIA arbitration, in relation to the sale of a network of banks in a neighbouring state.
- Vedanta Resources on a claim under the UK-India Bilateral Investment Treaty arising from the imposition of retrospective tax by the Indian tax authorities.
- A global rental car company on ICC arbitration proceedings regarding the licensing and use of rental car brands across EMEA.
- A UK media group on a claim in relation to the distribution rights for a Hollywood film under the Independent Film and Television Association (IFTA) arbitration rules.
- A leading investment bank on SIAC arbitration in relation to claims under ISDA form commodity hedging contracts involving issues of English and Indonesian law, together with the successful enforcement of the award.
- An Asian telecoms company on a joint venture dispute and parallel arbitrations in India (ad hoc) and the UK (LCIA) concerning the ownership interests in an Indian mobile telephone network.
- Nick is listed as a “Global Leader – Arbitration” in Who’s Who Legal 2020
- Nick is ranked Band 6 in Chambers Global 2020 International Arbitration UK
- Nick appears in the 2020 “A List” of Top 100 international lawyers in the India Business Law Journal
- Nicholas Peacock is sought out for his experience handling commercial arbitrations, fielding particular experience in matters involving Indian and Nordic entities. Chambers Global 2020 – International Arbitration UK
- Nick Peacock heads the India Disputes practice, and is experienced in representing Indian corporates in complex arbitration proceedings, particularly in the energy and telecoms sectors. Legal 500 2020 - Foreign Firms in India
Nick has enjoyed a 20 year career with Herbert Smith Freehills (formerly Herbert Smith) and has been a partner in the Dispute Resolution division since 2007.
Nick previously led the Singapore arbitration practice, is a member of the firm's India Executive, works closely with the Moscow office on English law Russian disputes, sits on our Nordic Desk, and is a former co-chair of our London-Japan Group.