Nicholas represents both domestic and international clients in commercial litigation and cross-border international arbitration disputes.
He advises on various complex cross-border disputes in Asia and internationally. Nicholas has represented clients from a diverse range of industries, including oil and gas, energy, infrastructure, ports, steel, telecommunications, banking and finance, and private equity.
He has experience advising and acting for clients in arbitrations under various institutional rules (including ICC, SIAC and AIAC) as well as ad hoc arbitrations. His experience also includes managing and coordinating proceedings in multiple jurisdictions.
Nicholas' experience includes advising:
- a leading global high-tech engineering and construction company on disputes arising out of an EPC contract for the construction of a chemicals manufacturing facility in Malaysia, including an adjudication under the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act (CIPAA), mediation, and arbitration under the AIAC Arbitration Rules
- a project company on issues arising out of the construction of refinery and petrochemical complex, including two SIAC arbitrations and an emergency arbitration proceeding, involving claims under and in relation to the EPC Contract
- a Korean contractor in a Singapore-seated SIAC arbitration concerning claims under a turnkey contract for the construction of a process plant in Vietnam
- various Malaysian and international oil and gas companies and service providers in an international arbitration seated in Singapore under the SIAC Arbitration Rules on the sale of crude oil
- an Asian independent power producer in an arbitration seated in Singapore in an ICC arbitration against a state and the state's water and power agency
- a Southeast Asian oil and gas storage facility provider in an arbitration over a contractual dispute with the port authority arising out of a concession agreement
Nicholas obtained a bachelor's degree in law from the University of Leeds, United Kingdom. He completed his Bar Vocational Course at BPP Law School, London. He was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2010 and to the Malaysian Bar in 2011.
Nicholas is fluent in English and Bahasa Malaysia.