Naomi has worked from the Herbert Smith Freehills' offices in London, Tokyo and Paris on cases administered by the major arbitration institutions, including the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), and the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
Fluent in French, Naomi also has a background in Modern Chinese and Japanese Studies, and is a key member of our Japan Group.
Naomi's experience includes advising:
- an oil & gas supermajor in ICC proceedings for the recovery of settlements paid and associated litigation costs under a contractual indemnity provided by a contractor at a North African oil and gas project
- a State-owned company in ICC proceedings against the EPC contractor relating to delays and defects in the design and construction of an oil refinery facility
- a global car rental company on an ICC arbitration in London concerning the operation of car rentals businesses and associated intellectual property in EMEA
- a Russian bank in LCIA arbitration proceedings in relation to a sale of shares in a Ukrainian subsidiary, including defending emergency arbitration proceedings commenced by the counterparties under the LCIA rules
- a multinational oil and gas exploration company in relation to the enforcement of its options under a drilling contract, and preparing an application for the appointment of an emergency arbitrator and for emergency relief under the LCIA rules
- an oil & gas supermajor on potential claims against the operator of an oil and gas condensate field in respect of underlying claims for over USD1,500 million brought by the host State
- an oil & gas supermajor on its rights and obligations in respect of the potential reassignment of an interest in a production sharing agreement acquired under a farm-out agreement
- a leading multinational energy consortium in Kazakhstan on its entitlement to offset environmental fines for unplanned flaring against royalties owed to the Republic of Kazakhstan under the applicable PSA and on its contractual and investment treaty claims arising in connection with such fines
- Colombian individuals in proceedings in the United Kingdom for the enforcement of an ICC award rendered in Colombia
- JKX Oil & Gas Plc and Poltava Gas BV in proceedings brought against Ukraine under various instruments including the UK-Ukraine BIT, relating to legislation that imposed increased oil and gas rental fees and capital movement restrictions
- ACP Axos in ICSID proceedings brought against the Republic of Kosovo under the Germany–Yugoslavia BIT, relating to the cancellation of the privatisation of the Kosovan state-owned post and telecommunications company in December 2013